Metronidazole and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'm at day 10 I think? Losing my boraras fast, still spots, fins rotting away and then dying. Must be the heat, as it got up to 30 yesterday all fish started suffering so I had to drop temp back down to 29.5.
Going to start metronidazole nothing to lose I'm hoping it won't hurt my plecos ?
I'll report here how it goes.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Rubbish day, lost more boraras and now it looks like I could lose one of my plecos his stomach has swollen really big and gone black? Still feeding metro and keeping the water warm ?

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Do you still have the white spot? Getting better / worse?

And it sounds like you are having fish lost due to bacterial infections from the high heat? (Just catching up).

Hi, still spots on the bloated pleco (feeding peas soaked in garlic ) 11 days in so I'm still having to carry on with the heat but I'm concerned I'll lose all the boraras. Euthanized 4 boraras without tails and found a dead one stuck to the filter. 2 dead shrimp.
Pwc daily, feeding metronidazole 3 x daily. Seriously thinking of dropping heat or should I at least carry on for the 2 week's? That would give me 3 day's.

Yeah, it's definitely cleared it off the other's, so I'm going to have to keep going with the heat, last thing I want is to turn it down and the Ich gets worse.

Yes, sounds good - I was thinking if not working well and the high heat is driving along bacterial infections, then I'd swap to a med but sounds almost done.

Are any water changes temp matched to keep the temp up?

Yeah, I check the heat of the water with a thermometer so it's exactly the same.
This is what I get not using the QT with my new pleco! I should no better. Can't believe I'm losing my boraras, definitely won't be getting any more. So sad ?

Found more dead boraras this morning ? my pleco is looking a lot better belly has gone down, one spot left and he's eating again! So im so pleased about that.
Going to keep going with the heat 2 week's then 7 day's after so hopefully a week on Monday I can start reducing heat then see what's going on with the boraras.

All spots gone, leaving heat up for a extra week to be sure.
Lost a lot of boraras over the weekend and still today. Had a huge shoal off 61 now I'm down to 32, so sad really will be surprised if I have any left.
Still feeding metronidazole too them and plecos, daily pwc.

No I didn't use any salt, had no place to put the inverts.
Spots are definitely gone but I've counted 28 boraras so I've sadly lost 4 during the night. Keeping heat up till nxt Tuesday that will be the extra 7 day's, sadly think I'll have none left by then. Really think these guy's can't cope with the heat.
Still feeding metronidazole incase of infection but I don't think it's doing anything so I might just stop it.

I was just wondering if the metro did help with anything myself.

Has crossed my mind as well, if anything it's helped my plecos with ich and swollen belly. I know people are unsure about using it with the heat but if I hadn't tried I wouldn't have found out.
I'm really not sure if it's helpful with the boraras at the moment, I definitely feel they can't cope with the heat and can't wait to reduce it next week. Still losing them.

I'm still feeding metronidazole and I'm hoping it will help like the last time?
Pwc them today an found more dead, it's such a hard thing to watch. Really loved these little guy's ?
I'll have a look for the meds you've recommended as well Delapool Thanks for trying to help.

Hi Shelly sorry for your loses.

I'm just curious and I know they must be hard to find but what's happening with the dead fish?

Have you checked ammonia lately?

How is the oxygen? I would lower the water level so that the filter is splashing the surface just to make sure o2 is high as heat, meds and possible decaying organics will zap the o2 levels way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Shelly sorry for your loses.

I'm just curious and I know they must be hard to find but what's happening with the dead fish?

Have you checked ammonia lately?

How is the oxygen? I would lower the water level so that the filter is splashing the surface just to make sure o2 is high as heat, meds and possible decaying organics will zap the o2 levels way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Caliban07,
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 5. PH 7.2 temp is between 29.7 -30.0 been up for 15 day's due to ich, giving the usual 7 day's after last spot.
Oxygen levels are fine, both filter's running with spray bar's submerged and pointing up to the surface. Reduced water level, plecos are coping fine.
Fish become pale, emaciated, Then fins erode away,white fuzz comes off them, fish floats at the surface for a while before dying. I have euthanized a few as they were to far gone.
Just been feeding metronidazole like you helped me with in the past. Really can't wait to lower heat for them but can't risk ich returning.
Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom