Mexican dwarf crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

So there's some baby MDC at my LFS and I've tried doing some research on them because I thought they were pretty cool looking but I'm having a hard time finding information on them. Has anyone ever owned one and know any information on them?

Thanks

KCCO

Mine keep dying for no reason.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would they work in any tank? 35 hex. Fake plants? I could give him lots of hiding places which I heard was needed. I also heard there hard to take care of?

KCCO

I've kept them. I've found them to be pretty hardy. But like most inverts they need to be properly acclimated (Preferably drip acclimate) and they don't handle fluctuations in water chemistry well. Like all crayfish they prefer a high pH but I've been fine keeping them at 7. But if your pH is low I'd recommend adding a piece of cuttlebone because they are susceptible to shell rot if the water is soft.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed mine hikari crustacean formula. They will scavenge for leftovers but the crustacean formula will provide them with a calcium rich diet so that they can successfully molt.

Ok is there anything I should look out for and be aware of other then what you mentioned? Would they enjoy algae wafers and frozen blood worms?

KCCO

I feed mine hikari crustacean formula. They will scavenge for leftovers but the crustacean formula will provide them with a calcium rich diet so that they can successfully molt.

I've never heard of crustacean formula before? I'll have to research that.

KCCO

Actually it's called crab cuisine. I got it confused with a new life spectrum product.

Do they get along with corys?

KCCO

I briefly (and unsuccessfully) kept two in a 10 gallon tank with some Ember Tetras and Pygmy Corys. I did lose a Cory within the first week of having the crayfish. Maybe it's a coincidence and maybe not... I didn't witness the cause of death.
Also, I had researched that they are not too aggressive with each other, but mine fought every chance they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I briefly (and unsuccessfully) kept two in a 10 gallon tank with some Ember Tetras and Pygmy Corys. I did lose a Cory within the first week of having the crayfish. Maybe it's a coincidence and maybe not... I didn't witness the cause of death.
Also, I had researched that they are not too aggressive with each other, but mine fought every chance they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's not what I wanted to hear... I think I'd rather have corys over a crayfish unfortunately.

Don't you love when you do research on something and it's the complete opposite of what happens when you try it.

KCCO

Keep in mind a ten gallon is pretty small. So it doesn't Leave much territory.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought about that too but I have 35 so there's not much length for territory.

KCCO

I've had my tank set up for about 3 months now and my parameters are all good with a ph of around 8.0 -8.4

Do you think I can add a MDC to my tank yet?

KCCO

Back
Top Bottom