MH lighting upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently running a 150 watt coralife MH with two 96 watt CF acintics over my 46 gal reef tank. However due to the center support beam there is a dark shadow in the center of the tank, see gallery, I would like to get rid of this shadow by upgrading and adding a second MH. In the process I would bulid my own DIY susspended canopy so I can use any configuration I like I was thinking of using 2X 175 MH retrofits from hellolights.com with one 10K and one 20K bulb. I may add a 96 watt acintic CF to give a dusk/ dawn cycle.

Would It look weird with two differnt kelvin ratings for the MH or would they just blend together?

Will adding say 250 watt MH be to much light for my tank as opposed to the 175's ?

Will this upgrade make the colors in my SPS coral brighter since they darkened up somewhat from the LFS.

Sorry for the long post but if im going to spend the money I want to have it right the first time.

Would It look weird with two differnt kelvin ratings for the MH or would they just blend together?
Yes, stick with one type for a uniform appearence.
Will adding say 250 watt MH be to much light for my tank as opposed to the 175's ?
On a 46gal BF, the 175s will be plenty. You will save on the electric bill and they will not create as much heat.
Will this upgrade make the colors in my SPS coral brighter since they darkened up somewhat from the LFS.
It should...providing water parameters are okay.

Back
Top Bottom