Mickey Mouse Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello today I purchased a male and a female mickey mouse platy for the 2 female platy I already have (Same type) but when I bought them, they were only available in red and the two I have in the tank are yellow. I want to know if the color difference would prevent them from schooling. Thank you.

BHead707 said:
i dont think platies are a schooling fish

correct me if im wrong

Yes I agree. Mine stay together sometimes but that's about it.

They'll stay together even when they're different colors. They even breed with other platy that're different colors. I heard somewhere a while back when i was breeding them that it's because they don't know what color they are. (something like that)

They'll breed together and hang around together sometimes but they are not schooling fish.

It doesn't matter what color either, plates are no rascists!

Yeah I said schooling for lack of a better term but pretty much my story is that I have five male guppies that have been nipping at the yellow mickey mouse, when I found out that they were both females I went out and bought a male and female (3:1). Will the male protect the females from the guppies because I also plan to get 10 female guppies (2:1) so that they have something to be with and stop bothering the platys.

Back
Top Bottom