Micro grow potting soil in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a hanging house plant hanging by my 10 gallon Betta tank (still in cycle) everything was doing really good. But then the dirt from my plant got all over inside the tank. I got out as much as I could. Let the filter get the little pieces. Cleaned the filter pad,Then did a 70% water change. Put him in stress. Fin rot is starting. Did my water test (test strip) most is reading caution, or stress. So I took the gravel out. Did alittle water change. About 35% or so. Put some of the water from my 75 gallon (perfect water levels) into the Betta tank. And took a few things (decorations) out of my 75 and put them in there too. Things are reading alot better. I cleaned the filter again in a bowl of water from my 75 gallon too. He seems to be better. Time will tell. I don't want to use meds. I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing for a week and see. I wanted to post this cause alot of people don't like using meds. I do use jungle right start for a conditioner, but that is it. Anyways, if you have any thoughts let me know. Thanks!

Today I cleaned the inside glass, did 50% water change. Added the water from my 75 gallon. Cleaned the filter, added gravel from my 75 gallon. Added 2 cap fulls of jungle right start. Did my water test and everything turned out good. My ph is still high. But it's still cycling. Think we're gonna pull through. My Betta is swimming around alot like he used to. Been keeping lights off. The last few days.

How much dirt fell into the tank?
I’m thinking you could have left the gravel in place and used a gravel vac to remove the soil. There is a lot of beneficial bacteria residing in the substrate; total substrate removal should be done with care (and copious water changes).
Dirted tanks often have 2-3” of potting soil covering the entire tank bottom. Even though they are capped with sand or gravel, I suspect nutrients and other substances leach into the water column.

I've been through alot already with just the Betta tank. I had a stress crack in it after 3 weeks of cycle. Got a new tank then got 4 endler guppies and 2 Otto's catfish. I don't know if they had anything when I put them in or not. They all looked good. The tank with the stress crack got the dirt in it. I got out as much as I could. I thought it would've been fine too. I don't know what's going on. It might of been the other fish. I pulled them all out tonight. Betta is in the 10 gallon alone. With good water. I'm just trying to stay away from meds. Doing everything I can to keep that water clean but with good levels. That's why I put water in it from my 75 gallon. He seem to be doing alittle better now. Kinda thinking it was the other fish in a way. I know my catfish got white spots on them. Thought I seen that yesterday, but I couldn't tell for sure. Today I could tell. So pulled them all out and treating them.

Forgot to mention sense the stress crack I got a new 10 gallon the same day I got the other fish. That was last weekend.

It may have been something the other fish brought with them.
I don’t do meds unless I have to. I’ve used Erythromycin for Cyanobacteria outbreaks in my planted tanks in the past (it works!).
Last time I treat for Ich was about 5 years ago. A smelly but effective herbal remedy (Kordon Rid-Ich). All new fish go through a 2 week quarantine.

I was pretty convinced when i seeing the catfish tonight after I did everything I had posted of course. But they are out and I'm keeping the lights off and got the heat up to 82degree. I just hope I get my new heater tomorrow. The one I have is adjustable by watts, no light to tell me it's working. Anyways, I'm doing what I can. I'll check on that stuff and read up on it. Thank you!

Did a water change today about 25-30% added jungle right start for conditioner, and started a salt treatment. 2 tbsp for 10 gallon let it dissolve in new adding water. Seeing a couple of white shiny sugar like spots (white) on my Betta. (Thanks to a pet store.)Got the heat set at 84-85 degrees. Fins are OK looking, so far. I didn't do a water change yesterday. My tests came out good. They were good today too, but did a water change anyways. Water has to stay clean! He's still eating like normal. And swimming around. Still interested in everything. All good signs.

Back
Top Bottom