Microbubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good or bad? I accidentally had them going earlier today when my airstone got pushed right into my filter intake.

I've read that they're better at dissolving oxygen into the water than standard bubbles, which makes sense. But I've also read claims that they can stick to a fish's gills and cause them to suffocate. Any truth to that?

Thanks!

Fish actually suffocate from too MUCH oxygen, which is what happens when their gills are exposed to air. If I recall correctly, if the water is over saturated with oxygen then the fish can get a condition similar to the bends.

Air stones generally aren't needed. Most filtration systems provide enough surface disturbance to facilitate the CO2/O2 exchange.

Rokuzachi said:
Good or bad? I accidentally had them going earlier today when my airstone got pushed right into my filter intake.

I've read that they're better at dissolving oxygen into the water than standard bubbles, which makes sense. But I've also read claims that they can stick to a fish's gills and cause them to suffocate. Any truth to that?

Thanks!

Never hear about it...I have seen pictures of tanks with a lot, a lot, of bubbles for decoration, so IMO you are fine

Back
Top Bottom