Miracle mud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shorty412

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are the true benefits or disadvantages with using miracle mud in a refugium. I have an established 150 gallon reef tank and want to install a refugium in the sump using miracle mud and algae will this cause my tank to re-cycle? I watched the YouTube videos about miracle mud but the majority of the videos are presented by ecosystems (the company which sells miracle mud) and I am want to hear true testimonials about the product. Thanks for your feedback

It is pretty good stuff but expensive and you need quite a bit of it.Be carefull with the water flow as it needs to be very slow or it will get everywhere,and you need to remove and replace it every 12 months,why not go with a dsb and macro?

I did it and really wasn't sure it helped. I've heard from others who did also and said there was no obvious benefits to them. The one thing I was concerned about before I tore down my tank was that one is supposed to replace it after a period of time. With 2" of it in my fuge, with countless other critters, rock, rubble, macroalgae, end etc., I was not looking forward to emptying it and replacing it with new miracle mud. I'd go with a sand bed next time I set up a tank.

Also, I had my fuge, combo sump on a 155g drilled tank with a Mag 15 pump as a return and flowing thru my fuge. No problems at all with water going thru it too fast.

i saw a study a few years ago on miracle mud, and it said that there was nothing found in it that suggests it came from the ocean. i had pieces of red brick and some man-made shiny plastic things in mine. IMO, it's from someone's back yard.
there is no documented benefit from using mud in the tank.

I used it when I set my current sump up. I would not do again as I dont see where I accomplished anything with it.

Back
Top Bottom