Possible to have zero filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm bored... its 2:30am and I'm watching Youtube videos. That's what people do when they're up this late, right? Anyways, I've watched a few of TheGreenMachineLtd's videos in the past, and stumbled across them again tonight and wondered something. I don't usually see any filtration system in his tanks. Now perhaps he just removes them for the purpose of the videos, I haven't read into these guys at all, just know them through youtube, but it still prodded that question:

Can one make an aquarium properly, without the use of a filtration system? With the proper balance of fish to plants to surface area... can't one create an ecosystem that doesn't require a machine to keep it healthy? Afterall... that's what nature does right? Now granted, water sources are of course constantly moving to some degree, but like natural ponds for example, that rely on rainfall to keep from diminishing, outside of water being added through rain, that water for the most part just sits there, correct? Don't some fish also live in said ponds?

I don't know, just a curious question that I'm very interested to know about. I keep my reptiles in vivariums. Bio-active vivariums. REAL, thriving ecosystems, not ones where people just put in dirt and plants and call it bio-active (a good chunk of people in the reptile community that are a bit new to it seem to think that's all bio-active means). I have plants that thrive from the light I provide, and then micro fauna that thrive off the plant matter (occasional mold growth) and droppings of my geckos (of course the only thing 'artificial' with the setup is that I of course feed my geckos. I can't throw a colony of insects in the tank) and it's wonderful to see every day. Wouldn't it be amazing if I could do that with an aquarium as well?! It fills me with wonder and joy to see mother nature replicating itself in my own home.

I want to hear your thoughts, hence why I put this in the advanced section. People who have had years of experience in fish keeping, I want to know. I NEED to know if it's something that can be replicated. Plants feed off fish waste and produce oxygen into the water that fish need to live. It's the perfect circle, so why filtration?

Please no rude comments about "making your fish go through that, uhg, such a horrible person". I'm not currently doing anything, in fact I don't even HAVE a tank right now. I did about 3 years back and was quite successful for my first tank. I don't have the space for the tank i want right now, but when I move one of the first things I plan to do is add an aquarium back into my life. It was a true beauty to have within my home. I'm honestly very curious about this process and the idea behind it and I just want some insightful answers, or even more fuel to add to this question.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...le-have-zero-filtration-697322/#ixzz4brL2u0mA

I think you'll still need a current, some mechanical means of water movement like an powerhead etc.

I think it can be done but it's gonna take a while for the tank to settle in and become robust enough to support life adequately.

You will be restricted to plants that can survive in the very low tech approach. Floating plants would be a good shout.

In this kind of tank the plants are key. They need to be kept healthy to provide oxygen for the for the fish and microorganisms that remove harmful nitrogen from the tank. If plants are not growing then they are robbing the water of oxygen.

The livestock load will have to be balanced and if not done by oneself the tank will do it for you. Water changes may be needed at some point. The size of the tank will help too. More water, more room for error water chemistry wise but it becomes more difficult to provide sufficient flow and lighting.

Soil substrates will draw a lot of oxygen initially and algae will proliferate in the early stages. Algae eaters such as Amano shrimp and nerite snails would be a good shout. I'd leave ottocinlus out of this one as they prefer faster flower water with high dissolved oxygen content.

Again we find that word balance. Longer to achieve in a low tech setup but less hands on to maintain in once it does as opposed to a high tech where ever logical intervention you think you are making usually has disastrous consequences.

I like the idea of doing another low tech knowing what I know now and I will some day.

All water systems are ecosystems whether natural or manmade. The fact that I get to have a hand in creating one is the beauty of it all too me, natural or not. It doesn't have to be natural, just healthy.

Edit: also with regards to the TMG team as well as most serious aquascapers. Most will remove all hardware when it comes to the pictures/videos [emoji6]

Last edited:
55 gallon tank, lots of plants, you need some kind of current or agitation..... 2 neons! BAM DONE!

Back
Top Bottom