Mirror tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadySurreal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 42 gallon hexagonal tank (taller than it is wide), 3 of its sides are mirrored. I can scrape the mirror off, but i am worried about ruining the glass. I want to get fish. I was considering a piranha, i do not know if it will attack itself in the glass and i cannot seem to find answer on the internet.
Do you know what kind of fish would thrive in a tank like this?
:thanks:

Piranhas get a foot or more depending on the type and need schools. So a huge tank would be needed

I know nothing too much about those fish, but I have seen them get big and put into bigger aquariums. I am not too sure about what fish to put into that tank. Personally, I don't care for tanks that have mirrors, even though mine acts like one as the reflection from the light.

For the mirrors, I wouldn't worry about it unless it applies to super aggressive fish.

Pirhanas need big schools and big tanks. The only place I found someone keeping them is a public aquarium in Las Vegas...

If piranhas school id guess it wouldn't attack its reflection. It'd just be like having another fish in its school

Thank you.
I do not really care for the mirrors either, alas i did not buy this tank it was given to me from a friend. I thought it was really nice(it still is) until i started looking for fish to put in it, my favorite fish are large semi aggressive ones. My family says that i should get an oscar, because that is what they had for years. But oscars can grow large and the tank is not big enough. The tank itself is quite large, i did measurements on it and if i did the math right it was 42 gal, it seems bigger than 42 but i honestly do not know.
Another choice i had was the small/medium sized Koi.

Thank you.
I do not really care for the mirrors either, alas i did not buy this tank it was given to me from a friend. I thought it was really nice(it still is) until i started looking for fish to put in it, my favorite fish are large semi aggressive ones. My family says that i should get an oscar, because that is what they had for years. But oscars can grow large and the tank is not big enough. The tank itself is quite large, i did measurements on it and if i did the math right it was 42 gal, it seems bigger than 42 but i honestly do not know.
Another choice i had was the small/medium sized Koi.

Maybe if the tank was 55 gallons and really good filtration you can house an oscar.

Kois are better for ponds than they are for fish tanks...they get massive (up to two feet long!!!) and they are super messy, it's lots of maintenance with these guys.

Yes koi can, but i thought there was a subspecies that doesn't get enormous. Well ****. I am stumped on what to get. I am pretty sure i should wait to get fish since i may be moving to texas in january and its almost 700 mi drive, i do not know very many fish that will survive a 12-15 hour drive.

That's a good thing. It allows you the opportunity to really think about what you want to do with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom