Mirrors (real old school)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warped1

Aquarium Advice Freak
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away - when the fanciest fish a person could have bought was a black goldfish - I was able to buy fish tanks with a mirror on the back -- made the tank look deeper -- The stores that manufactured them have since either stopped making them or closed shop -- My question to the fish Illuminati is if I got a mirror - cut to size - can it be glued to the back of my tank? Does it compromise the stability and structure of the tank - meaning will it pull the tank apart? The mirror I had in mind is just under 1/4 inch thick - any help in my dementia would be appreciated

Well to be honest as to why I don't consider using mirror paint - Truthfully I did not know that kind of stuff existed. I mean I know Krylon paint but I don't know Mirror Krylon paint. And the same holds true with the tank backing. I've seen them in blue - black - holographic blue pattern and assorted plant patterns. I've never seen it in sliver. I'm guessing it is like a mirror. But that is why I joined this site out of all that were offered. You know your stuff. As soon as I get done browsing AA, I'll check what you offered. I guess nobody is keen to gluing a mirror on huh? --- Much thanks(y)

My biggest problem with gluing on the mirror is that if you wanted to take it off, how hard would it be? It would probably break the glass. So if you don't like it, you are stuck with it. And what can you do to make the mirror flawless with the glue? You'll see it. I used the mirrored backing and it looked good until you get a small crease in it. It happened when the filter got moved during a maintenance cleaning. But it is so cheap that you can just buy another piece if needed.

If your tank is on a traditional stand it may not need to be attached. Look at attaching "L" brackets to the back (larger aka longer the better). get some foam strips to put on the inside of the L (any hardware store). Slide the glass into the brackets and tighten down (gently). If you have a canopy, do the same at the top. Much the same way as large glass is attached to a wall in a bathroom.

Even if it's not a traditional stand I'm sure you could use some variation of the theme on almost any stand

Great advice again - I like the L bracket idea - I am also shopping for the mirror back ground - I have found two so far and am interested if anybody had any experience and good results with "Oceanvision Mirror back groud" or "PennPlax silver back ground" - Advice to this will be a great help because I would hate to get one one and have to lug that tank again to replace it :rolleyes:

I have used the Penn Plax before and it looked great. I have only used one Oceanvision background and it was the stick on kind. Didn't work so well for us. lol It's great in concept, but I suppose you need to have patience when putting it on.

my job sells that mirror background..never seen it on a tank...but apparently its difficult to put on..you have to do it "just right"..or itll be all scrunchy. i think it would look cool though

The Penn Plax is not hard to install at all. Just don't bend it into a crease and you won't have any problems.

Mirror for the back of Aquarium

We recently purchased a large aquarium and stand for our livingroom. Once set up, I didn't like the look of the back of the tank since you could see the black filters and four cords from the lights and filters through the tank.

I measured the back of the aquarium and contacted my local glass and mirror shop. They cut a 1/8" thick mirror in the exact size of the back of the aquarium. They also filed all of the edges so the mirror wouldn't be sharp. The cost of the mirror was $31.00 including tax.

I slid the mirror up under the filter and the glass on the outside back of the tank. The filter alone held the mirror snug against the glass. Then I ran a very thin bead of clear silicone caulk along the bottom of the mirror just to stabilize the mirror to the glass.

You cannot see the silicone at all through the tank. If I ever want to remove the mirror I can just pull the silicone bead off and it won't damage the mirror or the tank.

The best part is that it hides all of the cords and filters on the back of the tank and gives it a very clean look.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information - it is a little late though. And I'm surprised to find that Petsmart carries mirror back tanks. Where I'm from (Philadelphia) it is very hard to find them. Even my Google search came up empty. It seemed nobody still made those kinds of tanks.
I purchased a beautiful 36gal corner tank (no mirrors) but I did the next best thing. I saw the mirror back backgroud Penn Plax offered (which in my opinion isn't worth the money) and that had the wheels in my head turning. And I started thinking (me thinking is a bad thing according to my family). Anyway, long story short - a company in England makes a product called "Mirror On A Roll". I sent away for it - applied it to my tank with "SeaView" and presto - instant mirror back.
It is not 100% flawless - but it is nice
When my tank finishes cycling I'll post pictures
Thanks again for the info :scrambleup:

One would wonder how aggressive territorial fish will react to seeing themselves in the reflection. Will they mistake the reflection for another of the same species and charge the mirror.

Not sure I'd put one on a SW. I've at times had to tape up black construction paper on a tank end when it looked like a fish was seeing it's reflection and getting all bothered about it. Certain time of year and sun angle is the culprit. Now it's a strategically placed floor plant that diffuses the light.

In FW you're not going to get the coraline on the back wall either

Back
Top Bottom