Misc Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have several random questions. I currently have a 125 FOWLR which has been set up since last Nov. However I am in the process of setting up a 100 gallon SW and one day hope to have it to be a reef. Its not predrilled so I will have to do an overflow box. So here are my questions:
1) Is there a way to get around buying a overflow box that costs $100+? I guess Im thinking of way to save money but I really want the sump method so I assume there is a way to get around buying this…any ideas??
2) I think I want to use a 20-30 long aquarium as a sump. Do I need baffles built in? If so, how is this done. Does anyone have specs for this?
3) Whats the advantage of using a small aquarium vs a Rubbermaid or vice versa….other than price. The cabinet is long and narrow where the sump will be sitting.
4) For my fish, what vitamins do most people use to soak the food in?
5) I have seen people say they feed their fish shrimp…..is this frozen I assume? Not mysis…..Im talking whole shrimp. Where do you get this? From like a grocery store and if so what do you ask for??
6) I have a 20 gallon QT tank set up now for new fish. I took a spounge from my main tank and placed it in the tank and also have a piece of LR in there too. Im using a bio wheel for filteration. My ammonia is 0 now but there is still a trace of trate and trite….what should I do in preparation for putting a new fish in there? I assume another water change?
7) In preparation of setting up my new 100 reef to be tank, I want to use sand..However I refuse to use the “live sand” from the LFS as the price is crazy. AND to make matters worse I don’t have any of the playsand that most people are able to find that is silicate free…any other options other than CC???I really like the sand look but don’t know what to look for? I thought about going to a concrete/rock/sand place of business and see if they can help…
Thanks

1. Try Ebay. I have seen over flow boxes on there cheaper than $100. You could build one but I have never done it so I comment other than that.

2. You might want to try to use the 30 or something bigger depending on how much extra water volume you want or how much equip. will be in there. I use a 20 gal on my 75 gal. Keep in mind that a 20 gal tank used as a sump will only hold about 15 gal for a sump. You need a buffer space.

Baffles can be siliconed in or I use a plastic container that wedges in between the walls of the tank. It has holes drilled in it and water does pass around it but it is enough to keep microbubbles from my skimmer from reaching the return pump. You don't have to have them though.

3. Price and modability on the rubbermaids. I had to use a tank because I could not find a container to fit underneath that would hold the water volume I wanted.

4. I use Zoe but some use garlic too.

5. You can buy frozen food at the LFS or get some fresh stuff from the grocery and blend it up yourself. There are recipes out there for this.

6. Not sure on this but if the sponge is seeded and the QT is empty, wait until you have a fish in there to worry about a water change. The water should not go bad if nothing is in there.

7. You can get dead sand at the LFS for $1/ lb or less. Some places sell real live sand for $1.50. I bought the stuff at the LFS just because I could not find none either. You can use silica sand but most don't recommend it.

HTH

1. On my first tank I built my own overflow using a sheet of acrylic and PVC piping that I bought at Home Depot, and used Ambroid Proweld from Hobby Lobby to glue the pieces together. It worked great for 2 years with no leaks. I would highly recommend having a good overflow or DIY plans to use as a pattern, I just played it by ear and it took a while to get everything set up just right. In the long run I probably spent as much money doing it myself as I would have just buying the finished product. (I also made my own wet/dry)

5. Medium sized white or brown shrimp from the fresh seafood section cut into pencil eraser sized chunks and soaked in Zoe. You can also feed bay scallops using the same method just for occasional diveristy.

Premiumaquatics.com has an overflow box that i purhased and it was like 49 bucks and it works great, Virtually no noise with a durso.

1) Is there a way to get around buying a overflow box that costs $100+? I guess Im thinking of way to save money but I really want the sump method so I assume there is a way to get around buying this…any ideas??

I like the overflows from www.lifereef.com

2) I think I want to use a 20-30 long aquarium as a sump. Do I need baffles built in? If so, how is this done. Does anyone have specs for this?

You dont "NEED" baffles. Depending on what you want to use the sump for baffles can help. If you want to add baffles you can get some plexiglass cut at your home improvment store and then use ample amounts of 100% pure silicon (make sure its not for kitchen and baths as that has fungicides in it) to secure it into place.

3) Whats the advantage of using a small aquarium vs a Rubbermaid or vice versa….other than price. The cabinet is long and narrow where the sump will be sitting.

Some rubbermaid tubs have been blamed for leaching phosphates and other elements into the water. Get the largest sump you can fit in the stand.
4) For my fish, what vitamins do most people use to soak the food in?

I make my own food out of fresh seafood and I add nori to the mixture.

5) I have seen people say they feed their fish shrimp…..is this frozen I assume? Not mysis…..Im talking whole shrimp. Where do you get this? From like a grocery store and if so what do you ask for??

It can be frozen but its obviously thawed out before fed. CUt it up into bits that the fish can eat. Remember fish cant chew for the most part. If you get them from the grocery store make sure they are raw and not pre cooked and make sure they are unseasoned.

6) I have a 20 gallon QT tank set up now for new fish. I took a spounge from my main tank and placed it in the tank and also have a piece of LR in there too. Im using a bio wheel for filteration. My ammonia is 0 now but there is still a trace of trate and trite….what should I do in preparation for putting a new fish in there? I assume another water change?

Remove the live rock should you dose the QT tank with medication. If you dose the tank with medication also toss the sponge or just make sure you never use it on your main system.

If you live anywhere near Dallas, the Marine enter sells Real live sand at $1.49 per pund and the local deliver is only $10 for upt o 50 pounds, and that is next day. I used their live rock (45#) and live sand (30#) to start my tank and the entire cycle was less than a week! I had a small spike and it went away in three days. Six months later, my tank is growing fast and the system is very very stable.

MadMac
I do live in the Dallas area....What is this per your quote...doesnt make sense???
"the Marine enter sells Real live sand at $1.49 per pund and the local deliver is only $10 for up to 50 pounds, and that is next day."
I am just trying to save a little money here and there and would like to go sand instead of CC this time around.
Please clarify your quote above for me.
Thanks

Sorry, The Marine Center (I rarely read what I type :oops: ) is an online retailer that ships anywhere within 200 miles of DFW for only $10 per 50lbs. They sell live rock, live sand and all kinds of other livestock. Hope that helps.

http://www.themarinecenter.com :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom