missing cardinals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK quick question I added 10 cardinal tetras not to long ago to my cycled 55g one died on Sunday found it stuck to filter intake i did a large water change the next day had nine as of yesterday there was 8 now today 7 I've looked all around in and out of the tank could the others be eating the ones that died or are they good hiders my first time keeping cardinals really could use your help I haven't had a chance to test yet I will as soon as I'm off work will get test results around 5 of so tonight after work any help would be great thank you

Well cardinals are schooling fish so it's unlikely that only one is hiding. But it is possible that one of your other fish have eaten them or got sucked into the filter. What other fish are in your tank?

Well cardinals are schooling fish so it's unlikely that only one is hiding. But it is possible that one of your other fish have eaten them or got sucked into the filter. What other fish are in your tank?

They are to big to get into the filter and they are the only ones in the tank its going to be peaceful community tank cardinals rummy nose fork tail rainbow fish is the stocking plan and a gold nugget pleco that's what will be in the tank cardinals are the first addition

It would really help to know your chemical levels. That could be a reason of them dying and being eaten by the others. Also sometimes new fish don't school first thing because of stress or just being introduced to a new home and do stray off on their own and they might be hiding. That happened to me with my ghost cats. If I can have your chemicals levels I'll be able to tell you if that's the cause.

Ok well just tell me when you get them. Sometimes in new tanks the chemical levels aren't what they should be. Stress can also be a cause of them dying. Cardinals need a heavily planted tank, if not it could stress them.

Tank is planted results are not what I expected the tank was cycled fishless pH 7.6 ammonia 0.25 ppm nitrite 0 ppm nitrate 40 ppm will be doing a very large water change here shortly

The ph and nitrates are a little high but shouldn't effect the fish. The ammonia needs to be lowered though. Anything above 0.10 can be dangerous.

The ph and nitrates are a little high but shouldn't effect the fish. The ammonia needs to be lowered though. Anything above 0.10 can be dangerous.

PH isn't to high a balanced pH is better then trying to change it yes the nitrates are high I know the 0ppm of ammonia is better but .25ppm is less harmful than .5ppm and did you mean 1.0 ppm of ammonia cause my test kit doesn't read that just got done doing 50-75% water change will test again in a couple hours

Yes that's probably right. I just noticed my kit measures differently then the one you have. So it's probably not the chemicals. I really have no idea where the cardinals are going. They could be dying of stress or may have ich or some other disease. If you notice white spots on their fins and scratching themselves on deco or other odd behaviors its probably a disease.

Yes that's probably right. I just noticed my kit measures differently then the one you have. So it's probably not the chemicals. I really have no idea where the cardinals are going. They could be dying of stress or may have ich or some other disease. If you notice white spots on their fins and scratching themselves on deco or other odd behaviors its probably a disease.

Nope no ich or other diseases nor stress I think its the high nitrates and it is parameters not chemicals what test kit are you using

The chemicals are probably it if its not disease stress or temperature. I'm using a kit from Mardel.

Never heard of that brand you should look into the api liquid master test kit temp is fine

Hmm ok. Ill look into the API. To be honest, I have no idea what's happening to your cardinals. Ill keep researching online and in my books.

Is the top of your tank completely covered? If not, they could be jumping out. My hatchet fish kept doing that so I had to give them away.

Since you have no lid, the fish could be jumping out and getting eaten by free roaming pets.

Wow. I really have no idea. Ill keep researching it and let you know if I find anything out. Sorry about your fish. Hope it all turns out ok.

Back
Top Bottom