Missing Gill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at my lfs and noticed that one of the black skirt tetras was missing a gill flap? Where it was supposed to be silver like the rest of him, it was all red. It kinda looked like he was picked on cus he was small and got it tore off. My question is, can a fish survive that? If so would it grow back?

I plan on getting these fish in the near future and would like to know how to deal with it before this happens.
Thanks everyone!

Hi! I honestly dont know if a gill cover can grow back. If the gill cover is missing, it will leave the delicate gill tissues exposed and my best guess is that the fish in question will probably continue to be picked on by other fish. Can he survive? Probably but he may be at greater risk for infections & health issues. I would honestly not purchase him and opt for healthy fish but thats just my opinion. Good luck!

:p should've done some research before posting. Sounds like it is a common occurance in tetras wether a defect or is torn off. There is some mixed opinions about euthanasing or letting them be. I guess it would depend if they are actually sick? With missing the cover it would mean that they are more susceptible to dieases? Do I have the right idea?

IME, the gill cover does not grow back. The damage was most likely caused by a net at some point in the journey to that LFS tank. If kept in clean water and fed well, a missing gill cover shouldn't be a "death sentence".

Reactions: jlk
jlk said:
Hi! I honestly dont know if a gill cover can grow back. If the gill cover is missing, it will leave the delicate gill tissues exposed and my best guess is that the fish in question will probably continue to be picked on by other fish. Can he survive? Probably but he may be at greater risk for infections & health issues. I would honestly not purchase him and opt for healthy fish but thats just my opinion. Good luck!

Sounds great thank you!

Back
Top Bottom