Missing Tetra and Dying African Dwarf Frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordanb_ny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with 5 neon tetras, 3 zebra danios, 1 betta, 1 African dwarf frog, and 3 ghost shrimp. I had to go away for a 2 day convention and had no one to take care of the fish while I was gone, so I left them some extra food and hoped for the best. They were technically without me for only a day and a half.

When I came back everything seemed fine except that my African dwarf frog was really pale and almost whitish looking. I fed it and the next morning his color came back a little, but not as much when I first bought it.

Also one of my tetras is completely missing. I searched everywhere. Does anyone know what could have happened?

Just another note on some changes. One of my ghost shrimp shed his exoskeleton and is eating it now. And my plants grew so much faster than before. Not sure why.

Also all my water levels are good. Ammonia and nitrite is at 0 and my nitrate is at 10ppm but I'm getting close to my usual time to changing the water so I doubt that's the problem.

Neons are known to suddenly drop dead. They are fragile and susceptible to neon tetra disease. I'm wondering if a neon died and the frog ate some of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe my frog has chytridiomycosis. It looks like it's bleeding internally since his body is slowly turning red. I have just quarantined him and gave him some food, which he is not eating. He's just floating at the top of the water. At this point I don't think he will make it through the night. I don't have any medication to give him and it is probably to late to do so anyways. :(

That's too bad. I used to keep a group of African Clawed Frogs. Plant fertilizer killed them in the 90s very quickly. I managed to save one. He lived a few more years. Sorry about you aquatic friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom