Misterpenguin4s 4 gallon dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gets a few nerite snails as well, the puffers won't bother them

Thats what I was thinking until I saw the DP take chunks out of the big mystery snails head until he died. I got the otto earlier today and the DP has already seen him and didnt even look twice. Hopefully this works out, if not he has a 10 gallon.

The otto:
img_2551159_0_d79ecd5d61cb942b6a17ebcbf89a7f78.jpg

img_2551159_1_fbd0f3f2dc8fff1ccc346ea430461e46.jpg

the reason why the DPs were picking on the mystery snail is most likely due to the probes that it has on its head. nerite snails are protected by their shells, therefore they should be fine. i've no complaints against otos because they do heck of a job in my tank as well. they're absolutely maintenance free for i have not fed them in months. the reason why nerites were suggested is because they're things that otos won't clean up, such as leftover frozen worms or such and nerites are there to clean up

the reason why the DPs were picking on the mystery snail is most likely due to the probes that it has on its head. nerite snails are protected by their shells, therefore they should be fine. i've no complaints against otos because they do heck of a job in my tank as well. they're absolutely maintenance free for i have not fed them in months. the reason why nerites were suggested is because they're things that otos won't clean up, such as leftover frozen worms or such and nerites are there to clean up

Ill look into getting a nerite or two. The only problem is my LFS rarely carries them so I would have to order them online.

Put some moss on the piece of manzanita sticking out of the water. It would look cool if it took over. I have even read that some people have had mushrooms grow on them.
img_2552852_0_0d7ba2b5fa4c463f8102c42a9d820972.jpg

Lookin good, I like your Manzanita. How is your little puffer doing?

Lookin good, I like your Manzanita. How is your little puffer doing?

He is doing good. Eats like a champ lol. You can see his belly get bigger with every blood worm. If I ever do anything aroound the tank like eat or watch TV, he comes to see what Im doing. My parents say that he is nosey just like me. Haha

Put some moss on the piece of manzanita sticking out of the water. It would look cool if it took over. I have even read that some people have had mushrooms grow on them.

it's a good idea having the moss on the manzanita. i have seen people making a wall out of them and sticking out of the water. but how do you plan to keep them irrigated? the way you have it right now will make starve them of water, which isn't a good idea. the ones i have seem have a continuous flow/drip of water aided by a water pump, almost like a fountain or a mini waterfall.

it's a good idea having the moss on the manzanita. i have seen people making a wall out of them and sticking out of the water. but how do you plan to keep them irrigated? the way you have it right now will make starve them of water, which isn't a good idea. the ones i have seem have a continuous flow/drip of water aided by a water pump, almost like a fountain or a mini waterfall.

I spray them with a spray bottle full of treated water daily and the top of the manzanita is moist from getting waterlogged I guess. If they start dieing Ill just put them back outside. Hopefully the spraying is enough.

I spray them with a spray bottle full of treated water daily and the top of the manzanita is moist from getting waterlogged I guess. If they start dieing Ill just put them back outside. Hopefully the spraying is enough.

it's not a long term solution because you're going to forget about it down the road. maybe the water in the manzanita might provide enough water for the moss to survive. my fingers are crossed.

So the DP, otto, and plants are doing great, but there is some nasty stuff in the filter, gross stuff on the top of the water, a bunch of gross stuff on the glass and white fuzz on the DW.
img_2554658_0_37a853df78dca2251e6fa1860f5e30e8.jpg

img_2554658_1_63d7e3156873705a3cb782ef63fabfcb.jpg

img_2554658_2_5a14ed656cbcee0483861ca9c0c68a37.jpg

img_2554658_3_c8136cd6bd528376b0a61dd20f9c3300.jpg

img_2554658_4_621e4ffa4c2c6fd5f5810c895e66ab3f.jpg

img_2554658_5_0f859a61765230460fb7c5400104601e.jpg

i think it's some sort of bacterial bloom, im not certain. but some water surface agitation will certainlly improve the look, the fuzzy things, you're experiencing

I think Im going to get an aquaclear 20 for this tank. I dont have any $, but my birthday is coming up in August. I have a list of stuff I need to buy with birthday money. Lol

What about an AC10? An AC20 would be way too much on that tank. It creates a fairly good flow on my 10 gallon.

They are rated for 5-20 gallon tanks so Im thinking Ill have it dialed either all the way down or half way.

if it's an adjustable filter, then by all mean get it and dial it halfway. i have not used this one before so i wouldn't know. i just assume it's for up to 20gal, which would definitely be an overkill

Back
Top Bottom