Misterpenguin4s 4 gallon dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope my DP eats snails because there is a bunch in the tank. I have not seen him go at one yet. Im hoping that he just needs to get comfortable, then he will go to town on some snails.

you can condition your dwarf puffers by crushing the snails and drop them in front of the dwarf puffers. in fact that's how I did it for mine and now they love them

you can condition your dwarf puffers by crushing the snails and drop them in front of the dwarf puffers. in fact that's how I did it for mine and now they love them

I will definitely try that. I might have a hard time crushing the MTS. Build some good hand muscles.

Tested the water today after the mystery snail started acting funny and there is a huge nitrate and nitrite spike!! This is the first time I have had something like this so I am doing a 40% or so water change. Im going to add a capful of prime after the PWC.

Yikes! Best thing to do is keep up with the water changes until your bb has a chance to catch back up. Hopefully your puffer doesok through this,I have heard they are really sensetive to water quality.

Did another water change today. I got a new 23 watt 6500k light today. Looks a lot better than the 14 5000k light that I had before. With this much light, Im wondering if I should do DIY co2. But I heard that you shouldnt do DIY co2 on nano tanks. Do any of you have experience with this?
img_2544235_0_3ea9d1e45b8a7574a1d3acf483cbb4ed.jpg

Did another water change today. I got a new 23 watt 6500k light today. Looks a lot better than the 14 5000k light that I had before. With this much light, Im wondering if I should do DIY co2. But I heard that you shouldnt do DIY co2 on nano tanks. Do any of you have experience with this?
img_2544278_0_3ea9d1e45b8a7574a1d3acf483cbb4ed.jpg

it's up to you. I did it in my Fluval Chi 5gal with CRS in it. if you were to do so, i wouldn't do the typical 2liter bottle though, i used 20oz gatorade

it's up to you. I did it in my Fluval Chi 5gal with CRS in it. if you were to do so, i wouldn't do the typical 2liter bottle though, i used 20oz gatorade

I have a 40oz bottle. Would that work, or is it too overkill?

I have a 40oz bottle. Would that work, or is it too overkill?

yup. that's why i used a smaller bottle. keep in mind that the diy co2 system doens't have a turn off switch, therefore you shouldn't have too much co2 in the tank even during the night when the photosynthesis of the plants stop. you need to prevent swings in the parameter to: 1 avoid brown algae and 2 pH swing

img_2545302_0_3ea9d1e45b8a7574a1d3acf483cbb4ed.jpg

so the full spectrum is 6700k but obviously you got what you were able to find, my question is: is there much difference between the two? i'm in need of upgrading a small 10gal hood tank with fluorescent bulbs. i can't find any in 6700k. yesterday in wal mart i found a few 6500k ones and would like to know how well they do in growing plants.

so the full spectrum is 6700k but obviously you got what you were able to find, my question is: is there much difference between the two? i'm in need of upgrading a small 10gal hood tank with fluorescent bulbs. i can't find any in 6700k. yesterday in wal mart i found a few 6500k ones and would like to know how well they do in growing plants.

I dont think there is a noticeable difference. I had two 24 watt 5000k CFLs in the hood of my old 10 gallon and they grew plants great. The one I just got for this tank is actually a "grow bulb". I would look on Amazon. They have a huge selection, but I think its a little pricier than the stores.

Did a water change for the 5th day in a row and the tests are all good. The driftwood is getting here tomorrow. Pretty pumped!

Should I take the puffer out when I put in the DW? Because I will also have to rearrange some plants.

So the manzanita branches came in.
img_2548375_0_24ebae13170f6c77ec5084050d2e6195.jpg

I decided which piece I wanted to use, then I cut it down and it looks pretty good! What do you think?
img_2548375_1_6d8d8e3841c94651d047999894d20b89.jpg

img_2548375_2_de03412379be96a9025d097471de58cf.jpg

img_2548375_3_2fefbaaedf3b891d2af3c5f3da6823f6.jpg

Still have this much left!

Well if anyone is interested in the leftover branches, PM me. Maybe we can make a deal.

I think Im going to get an otto for the tank. Keeping up with the biofilm is becoming close to impossible. Everyday after I spend 30 minutes carefully getting it off, it just grows right back the next day. Plus the manzanita is getting the fungus stuff that all new DW gets so he will eat that. I have done research and have found a lot of people that keep ottos with DPs in 5 gallons and havent found many cases where the DP harasses the otto . Worst case, I just put him in my 10 gallon shrimp tank.

Back
Top Bottom