Mixed Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrothead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you keep African cichlids and South American cichlids together, I see them at the pet stores in the same water so I was wondering if they can be kept in the same tank. I have a 120 gallon tank with Africans now.

I wouldn't. Africans generally prefer high ph and some need plant based diets.

SA's in general like softer water, lower ph and eat meat based diets.

Different types of aggression.

I'd stick to Africans if that's what you have now.

Water conditions are irrelevant anymore as these fish are so far removed from first generation fish and are bred in non-native conditions and the dietary problems are essentially a dead issue too. NLS is used for every fish in my fish room no matter the original location of the species. It really boils down to fish behavior, especially aggression levels that's what either makes or breaks it.

Last edited:
No sir! Africans are usually way more aggressive then most SA cichlids. They both require way different water parameters, temps, diet, etc...

I had 3 juvenile Kenyi Africans (about 3in long) that destroyed a 10in Oscar and a 6in blood parrot in a matter of a week. That's when I found out the hard way and stuck with just Africans.

I have kept 2 convicts, a firemouth, and a Chinese algae eater for years in my malawi 150 gallon. So I don't think they will be a problem as long as u have a big tank. Parrots, dempseys, convicts, and firemouth are a good choice.

Are your Africans young? If so they would do great if all the fish are raised together.

To me, the answer is it's generally a bad idea. However it can be done. I kept a single convict female in a Malawi tank for a while. I wouldn't have kept a pair in there though. Its best not to, but with careful observation and if you have experience with the individuals you are mixing it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom