Mixed malawi 60g build reveal VIDEO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joecoones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I was going to chronicle this with a bunch of pics from when I bought the tank and stand at an estate sale for 60$ (came with a cool acrylic sump too!) but I went swimming with my iPhone in Hawaii and apparently I hadn't been backing stuff up correctly so I have no before and during pics grr!
So I stripped the stand (solid oak) stained it kona, wife didn't like it, so I put a blue Hawaiian white wash stain over it and did the "shabby chic" thing sorta. I razor bladed the glass in and out (the front panel used to be covered in blue paint) and buffed/polished it. I have been growing these fish out in 3 different tanks for the last 6-12 months and when everything was done I put them all together. Been up and running for almost a month now, crystal clear, 60% wc weekly, nitrates hang around 20ppm, no over the top aggression and no deaths. Check out the synodontis hybrids I have in there too on the second video. Thanks for checking it out! I am very proud of my work and am SO happy my wife liked it enough to let me keep it inside instead of my garage haha!

My synodontis hybrids! (they have been breeding like mad since everyone went into the 60 together)

60gallon 4ftx1ftx2ft tall. 303 sunsun and 404 jebao (yea yea I am saving for a fluval fx 6). Oversized intake and output to run both filters together. Rock was in the junk pile at a local rock yard, 9$ total. Sand is crushed quartz from big box home improvement store, 9$. I run seachem purigen in the canisters. 300w eheim in tank heater. NLS pellets daily and spirulina brine shrimp 2x a week.

Before everyone starts telling me the ahli, pheno, borleyi and other haps won't fit, I am currently building a hardwood custom stand out of African paduak wood for a 160gallon glass 6ft x 18in x 28in tall. I am also not opposed to rehoming if I stick with my 4ft tank.

Haha bud is that a convict in there too?

Other than that, very nice tank and I am glad you aren't stubborn on your stocking. I'm not much of a cichlid man myself and know little about syno's so I'm not sure where you are in terms of your stock, but I am glad you have a backup plan and are looking out for the health of your fish. Oh and great buys on that tank and shopping around for substrate + rocks

Haha bud is that a convict in there too?

Other than that, very nice tank and I am glad you aren't stubborn on your stocking. I'm not much of a cichlid man myself and know little about syno's so I'm not sure where you are in terms of your stock, but I am glad you have a backup plan and are looking out for the health of your fish. Oh and great buys on that tank and shopping around for substrate + rocks

Definitely no convict in there. You may be referring to the phenochilus that isn't colored up. They take a while, he shows a nice blue most of the time and is starting to get a little white patch on his left side and the dorsal (coloring not disease) =) Thanks for the comment!

Looks great! I have the same 60 gallon. You may want to try more females or no females.

Was that a red top zebra in there? If so how is it working? I have one that I'm considering in my tank.

Nice seeing that many varieties of peacocks together.

Looks good. What's the dark one with the yellow top stripe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks great! I have the same 60 gallon. You may want to try more females or no females.

Was that a red top zebra in there? If so how is it working? I have one that I'm considering in my tank.

Nice seeing that many varieties of peacocks together.

No red zebra, only 2 mbuna are the rusty and lab chisumulae. All of the fish in here are male except for one of the synodontis cats. The sunshine and rubescens are young and not colored up yet.

Definitely no convict in there. You may be referring to the phenochilus that isn't colored up. They take a while, he shows a nice blue most of the time and is starting to get a little white patch on his left side and the dorsal (coloring not disease) =) Thanks for the comment!

Ooh that's pretty cool! No problem, thanks for the eye candy :)

Back
Top Bottom