Mixing some fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andys_aquarium

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting another aquarium and this time I wanted to go with mostly loaches. But I also like cories and angels would those be ok to mix in with my loaches

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am starting another aquarium and this time I wanted to go with mostly loaches. But I also like cories and angels would those be ok to mix in with my loaches

In my experience with cories and loaches, my loach (dojo loach) bullied my corycats. I can't speak for Kuhli loaches though, I heard they are very peaceful. But then again my dojo is housed with long finned white skirts and leaves them alone. I guess it is because of the size differance. My dojo never bothered my angel either, but they were not together for long.

Dojo loaches are very active and playful mine eats out of my hand. Mine can eat x3 the amount of flakes as the rest of my fish.

My angels would greet my at the top of the tank whenever I came close. Greedy eaters.

I've heard Kuhli are very nice. Also heard they hide a lot and they like a group of 5 or more.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco
~75g going to be African cichlids

What loaches do you want? It really depends entirely on who you to want to stock the aquarium with. Angels should be fine with the majority of loaches given their basic requirements match. (Temperature, flow, oxygen, the tank footprint..)
Corydoras are adding more bottom feeders to the tank, so you want to make sure everyone has their own space and food. You don't want one out competing the other. That again depends on what loaches you want.

I wanted to put kuhli and clown loaches in the tank

Also some clowns are notorious for being aggressive to smaller fish especially when the get close to full size.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I'm gonna start them off in my 75 but will be moving them to a 180

Clown loaches would almost deinitely out compete the Cories. They would probably bully them as well, especially as they get bigger. Depending on your tank size, you'd probably have to upgrade the Clowns as well. To say they get big is an understatement. They're very active and like to kept in groups of at least 3.
You could probably get away with Kuhlis and Cories though. You wouldn't see them as much as the Clown Loaches, but they're the better match for your tank.

Hmm maybe I should pick a new loach. I have never had loachs but I like seeing them so I want so. Any recommendations on a certain type I should get. I like kuhli the most

I would say Kuhli are your best bet to fit in with corys.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

A 75 gallon you could definitely do a nice group of Kuhlis. 5 or 6 is good, more would be even more impressive.
Look at Nemacheilus loaches- not quite as common in the stores but I believe they're compatible- and with a tank that size going to a 180 you shouldn't have to worry about them crossing territories.

Also, consider sand as a substrate- the Kuhlis will try to hide anywhere they can find that they fit into, and they'll probably try to bury themselves. Anything that burrows will always do better with sand.

A 75 gallon you could definitely do a nice group of Kuhlis. 5 or 6 is good, more would be even more impressive.
Look at Nemacheilus loaches- not quite as common in the stores but I believe they're compatible- and with a tank that size going to a 180 you shouldn't have to worry about them crossing territories.

Also, consider sand as a substrate- the Kuhlis will try to hide anywhere they can find that they fit into, and they'll probably try to bury themselves. Anything that burrows will always do better with sand.

Great point forgot to say that. Loaches need sand because they are scaleless and gravel cuts them up. Same goes for corys

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Also make caves and hiding places for your Kuhli. I'm pretty sure (someone verify) they are more of a nocturnal loach those you will likely see after your lights are off.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I can't say for sure if they're nocturnal or not, but since it's natural for them to hide, it's more likely you'll see them at night. In that case use blue lights on your tank at night.

And be careful picking out decorations- avoid anything with sharp edges. If you're worried a hole is too small, silicone it.

Okay thanks! That's what I will do then

Back
Top Bottom