Mollies Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this is difficult and stressful for you. It's terrible to see your fish sick and dying.

Mollies can do okay in freshwater, and many people keep them that way, but they do so much better in brackish. My mollies kept getting fungus, and one had the shimmies. The one with the shimmies would point straight up and vibrate. Since I switched over to brackish I have not had a single problem.

I use that instant ocean salt. Since you won't need much you can just get the small box, it cost me 8 dollars. It doesn't have to be exact from one water change to the next, because in their natural environment it varies anyway.

There was an excellent website about brackish tanks that helped me that I will try to find.

I found it!
Starting a Brackish Aquarium, what you need and what you can keep.
You will probably want to get a hydrometer, about $10, don't get the more expensive kind they use for saltwater (I can't remember what they're called), it's just not necessary to be that exact with brackish.

Of course, this is all your call. Lots of people keep them in fresh water, but I've had really good results this way.

Mumma.of.two said:
Updates? How is everyone?

Lost 3 more today. 2 more panting on rocks...
Over all (until these 2 go) have lost 6-7. All Cruella's (Dalmatian) & Suki's (Creamsicle) ...
So far all of Charger's (Silver) are alive.

Sisserydoo said:
I know this is difficult and stressful for you. It's terrible to see your fish sick and dying.

Mollies can do okay in freshwater, and many people keep them that way, but they do so much better in brackish. My mollies kept getting fungus, and one had the shimmies. The one with the shimmies would point straight up and vibrate. Since I switched over to brackish I have not had a single problem.

I use that instant ocean salt. Since you won't need much you can just get the small box, it cost me 8 dollars. It doesn't have to be exact from one water change to the next, because in their natural environment it varies anyway.

There was an excellent website about brackish tanks that helped me that I will try to find.

I will get Instant Ocean .... Ive seen it.
What would the dose be for 20g?
Why would they suddenly be affected? From one day to next? Theyve been fine since Sept... Ever since these were born and those before them!

I wonder if my water has anything to do with it? These last 2 weeks I've smelled more of a chlorine smell from it...
I use Prime so I'd imagine it is fine...

Sisserydoo said:
I found it!
Starting a Brackish Aquarium, what you need and what you can keep.
You will probably want to get a hydrometer, about $10, don't get the more expensive kind they use for saltwater (I can't remember what they're called), it's just not necessary to be that exact with brackish.

Of course, this is all your call. Lots of people keep them in fresh water, but I've had really good results this way.

I'm going to read this...
I'm going to have to wait a few days until I get paid... I only imagine how many will be affected between now and the weekend.. :-(

Mumma.of.two said:
I'd get a refractometer or a hydrometer to measure it correctly instead of relying on so may spoons per this amount of water and such.

I'll read up on it and definitely get a hydrometer and Instant Ocean...

Mumma.of.two said:
:( :( :(
I might get into trouble for this but maybe put a call out for help on more forums. More people seeing this = more ideas as to what's going on.

Its only that tank... :-( everything is same in other 3 tanks...
I'm going to read the article posted and make a trip to the store. I only wish I had the money for it now and not 3-4 days from now. Just spent $550 on my dogs eye removal surgery Monday. :-( tough week

ocminpin said:
Its only that tank... :-( everything is same in other 3 tanks...
I'm going to read the article posted and make a trip to the store. I only wish I had the money for it now and not 3-4 days from now. Just spent $550 on my dogs eye removal surgery Monday. :-( tough week

How is she (he?) going?
I really hope everything works out for you! :)

:( :( :(
I might get into trouble for this but maybe put a call out for help on more forums. More people seeing this = more ideas as to what's going on.

I think that's a really good idea. Something has to be going wrong in just that tank if that's the only one affected. Hopefully you will get some quick responses. I've found some other forums are like barren wastelands compared to this one, I hope you have better luck!

I forgot to mention, if you do get a hydrometer, make sure the numbers go all the way down to 1.000, usually the ones for marine aquariums don't go down that low, and I had to return the first one I bought. Since for brackish you keep the water approximately 1.005, it needs to go down low.

I know you can't go get anything right now, so I think you should keep up with the aquarium salt. Try to work up to one teaspoon per gallon if you're not already there.

I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble :(

Sisserydoo said:
I think that's a really good idea. Something has to be going wrong in just that tank if that's the only one affected. Hopefully you will get some quick responses. I've found some other forums are like barren wastelands compared to this one, I hope you have better luck!

I forgot to mention, if you do get a hydrometer, make sure the numbers go all the way down to 1.000, usually the ones for marine aquariums don't go down that low, and I had to return the first one I bought. Since for brackish you keep the water approximately 1.005, it needs to go down low.

I know you can't go get anything right now, so I think you should keep up with the aquarium salt. Try to work up to one teaspoon per gallon if you're not already there.

I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble :(

Okay will do.
I woke up this morning reaching for my phone to check the forum first.. Haven't even gotten out of bed yet... I'm afraid to look in the tank...

AHHHH HAH!!!!!!
Watching them closely I see 50% shimmying top water line... And TRIXIE female platy is pecking at them... They straighten out and she pecks again!
Shimmying showing their disapproval of her presence????!!!!! I'm moving both platies out into 29

I moved the platies to my 29g with the mollies & betta and his color is great, her top fin is back up raised high and colors darkening...
As for the troubled 20g... Shimmies and almost 3 more deaths... They're panting on gravel... One on it's side completely...
I'm going to do a gigantic water change a through cleaning... Maybe a contaminant?? I hope I don't lose this entire tank...

Back
Top Bottom