Mollies Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sisserydoo said:
If you are scrubbing the tank, changing the water, and putting in a new filter, your tank would have to cycle all over again, wouldn't it? I realize it's late now, and you've probably already done what you're going to do, but I think a new filter on top of all that other stuff will basically make it like a new tank, with 25 fish in it. But I guess it can't be any worse than what was happening already. Keep us posted.

Yes it's going to have to cycle again... I'm very disappointed... But within a few days my tank may be empty anyway :-(
I will test in the morning...
They ate.. Some are swimming around and some are gasping at surface... A few sitting on rocks slowly breathing

Mumma.of.two said:
If you ditch or clean everything and start over you can seed the filter with one of your other healthy tanks filters. It will definitely put your tank back into a cycle.

How about grabbing half the piece I originally split off this tank and put onto betta tank?

ocminpin said:
How about grabbing half the piece I originally split off this tank and put onto betta tank?

You can use that but it won't contain very much bacteria now because it's only been supporting the one fish. It will definitely help but it won't convert all the mollies waste straight away.

Mumma.of.two said:
You can use that but it won't contain very much bacteria now because it's only been supporting the one fish. It will definitely help but it won't convert all the mollies waste straight away.

Betta has virtually no waste. He eats 3 pellets every other day and eats them immediately. Barely poops. How could there ever be any full cycle on his tank?

ocminpin said:
Betta has virtually no waste. He eats 3 pellets every other day and eats them immediately. Barely poops. How could there ever be any full cycle on his tank?

I'm not sure I understand. The bacteria you moved over to the bettas tank would have died off EXCEPT of the few needed to process the bettas ammonia output.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm not sure I understand. The bacteria you moved over to the bettas tank would have died off EXCEPT of the few needed to process the bettas ammonia output.

Ah okay... He doesn't put much out, does he?

Mumma.of.two said:
Nope.

I think I missed some pages or got distracted. Did you move them to a bucket/QT yet? Are they still shimmying?

I moved them out hours ago... Gutted the tank... Gravel vacc super well... Hot water rubbed inside of tank hard... Gutted filter, hot water... New filter... Water in.... Gravel in... Prime in... Filter in... Fish back in...

Technically now the entire tank is QT.. brand new cycle. Some shimmying, some lying on gravel, some swimming

ocminpin said:
I moved them out hours ago... Gutted the tank... Gravel vacc super well... Hot water rubbed inside of tank hard... Gutted filter, hot water... New filter... Water in.... Gravel in... Prime in... Filter in... Fish back in...

Technically now the entire tank is QT.. brand new cycle. Some shimmying, some lying on gravel, some swimming

Ok. Sorry I missed that :hide:

Are all the fish related? Or are they all from different parents? Maybe it's something genetic?

Mumma.of.two said:
Are all the fish related? Or are they all from different parents? Maybe it's something genetic?

Mothers: Infamous Cruella, Suki, Charger

Father: Cesar!!!

:-0 My baby Angel I kept has no relation to anyone and she's perfectly fine in 29g. She was related to my babies I sold to LFS. Their mother died in heater malfunction.

Good idea and thats interesting.... But oh so intriguing it happened all at once...
I'm afraid for what I'll find in the morning...

Platies I pulled from tank are also fine from the looks of it.

What a week!!!
My dog lost her eye on Monday, Mon-today massive tank crash/fish dying, this morning my car broke down needs repair & is unsafe to drive.

Happy New Year everyone!
:'-(

I'm usually upbeat but BOOO...

Mumma.of.two said:
Let's hope they stay that way!

YES PLEASE!
I'm off to bed! Cruella looks close in other tank... I'm going to sleep before I *think* I see a fry. ;-)
Would be nice to wake up to a skinny girl in the morning and LIVE fish in the other tank!

Only ONE death overnight... It was one that was hiding last night... And 2 are on gravel on their sides panting, but those were also weak yesterday.
The others seem ok for now. They greeted me this morning and are eating now...
DRASTIC DIFFERENCE from the 20 I lost yesterday!!

ocminpin said:
Only ONE death overnight... It was one that was hiding last night... And 2 are on gravel on their sides panting, but those were also weak yesterday.
The others seem ok for now. They greeted me this morning and are eating now...
DRASTIC DIFFERENCE from the 20 I lost yesterday!!

Good luck! Sounds promising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom