Molly with sudden crooked tail...help diagnose/treat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollysMollies

Aquarium Advice Activist
My black male short tail Molly has always been healthy and very active. I've had him for over a year. I moved him to a QT tank when I noticed his clamped fins, tail was stiff and crooked.

He is in a 10 gal QT that I dosed with aquarium salt. I moved him 24 hours ago and now his tail is less clamped. He still is not using his tail much to swim. His poop varies between big solid healthy strands to clear stringy mixed in with healthy bits. The QT tank is cycled, 0 am, 0 ites, 8.2 ph, 10-20 ates.

He is eating.

I just dosed with pimafix and will continue. Also 50% wc before moving him to QT.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can anyone tell me if this crooked and limp tail thing gets better? Or if I'm doing the right thing by dosing pimafix?

All my other fish are fine. Showing no symptoms. What I could find when I researched leads me to believe that maybe it's old age.

In case it's not, I just want to make sure a. That it won't spread and b. That I can save him if that's possible.

Thank you for any help.

Seems like poor genes. Some of my guppies i had developed crooked tail. It's just a deformation.

I had similar with rainbows- lost appetite, clear stringy poo and bent tail over night, I went to vet and he diagnosed protozoan disease, like hex.

I hope yours isn't same, fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom