Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam2707

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some Molly fry, but am very unsure when to release them into the tank, and what I should be doing with feeding them, any advice would be great!?!?!

To feed them just crush up whatever food you feed the adults into a powder and sprinkle it in. Do that 3 times a day. I just leave mine in the main tank. As long as the adults are well fed they seldom eat the young. You can provide dense planted areas for them just in case. Or some floating plants. I put balls of moss in various places, especially corners for my fry to hide in when they want too. However, once I started feeding the adults more, at the suggestion of another forum member, they stopped eating the fry. If they fry are in another tank you can release them when they get too big to fit in the adults mouth. Usually in about 4 weeks or so.

Livebearer Fry

I have some Molly fry, but am very unsure when to release them into the tank, and what I should be doing with feeding them, any advice would be great!?!?!

Hello Adam...

As long as you don't have any fish in the main tank with a mouth larger than the fry, then put them in with the rest of the fish. If you do, have larger fish, then the fry should stay where they are until they're bigger.

Tanks should have a lot of planted and floating plants for hiding placing and to make the fish feel comfortable.

Don't feed too much. This will foul up your tank water and Mollies are more particular about their water conditions than any of the other Livebearing fish.

You should be adding a bit of standard aquarium salt to the water, a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water will do and change half the tank water every week. This will keep all your fish and plants healthy.

B

Back
Top Bottom