Mollys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a FW tank which I am slowly adding RO water too. Since I started I noticed my mollys are slowing down and there mouths seem to be going really fast. I have never really noticed there mouths before but they are slowing down for sure. Every now and then they dart to the top of the tank and back down again. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. The tank has lots of real plants. Tank chemistry is good lighting is good feeding is good too. I might just be panicking for nothing. Can anyone offer advise.

Are you adding supplements to the RO water? Is there are reason you're using RO water in a freshwater tank instead of tap water?

The biggest problem with using distilled / RO water is that it is completely void of the minerals and trace elements that are used by many freshwater fish to survive.

Saltwater aquariums use RO water to prevent unnecessary minerals like copper and such from getting into their systems - but they replace the "good" minerals and trace elements either through directly dosing them - or buying saltwater salt mixes that include them.

If you are just using RO water for your tank, and not supplementing it with the beneficial minerals and elements - your Mollies could be suffering from deficiencies.

Unless there's something seriously wrong with your tapwater that makes it unsafe for fish - I'd save the RO unit for a saltwater tank and just go back to water changes with tap water for your freshwater tank.

I was told that RO water is better for the fish as it's cleaner. I am adding minerals etc to tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom