Moorish idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxyhasswag

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of setting up a 75g tank with a Moorish idol ine read that theyvfan be hard to keep are they really that difficult I would also like to add two fire shrimp as a cleaning crew does anyone keep the Moorish idol have any good or bad experiencesand would love to see some pics

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Think more along the lines of a 300 that has been established for several years before attempting a moorish. They don't last at all in captivity. Need a very established tank with a ton of natural food sources for them to feed on. I've heard of them dying even when eating prepared foods. Leave em in the wild where they belong.

Very difficult fish to keep fed. Expensive and not a fish you want unless you are experienced enough to go thru the pains of keeping one long term. Not to say it can't be done, but the odds are against it working out.

Yeah, very difficult to keep. Nemo is the most accurate place to go to when looking for fish. There are always exceptions to rules in the hobby, so there may be a success story every very, very, long now and then. You'd have to be very well experienced to keep one long.

The only instance I know where one lived its whole 15+ year lifespan was a guy that produces live worms and brine shrimp every day, 365 days a year. This fish also gets big, about saucer sized.

If you are really wanting a fish like the Moorish Idol you can get one called Bannerfish it says it is reef safe but requires at least 125 gallon tank. Let the Moorish Idols stay in the ocean to hard to care for.

Back
Top Bottom