Moors in a pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well how big of a tank do these guys need for a permanent home? And is there anything else that could be kept with them in that tank?

For a permanent home for just 1 moor, 20 gallons might be a good size. =] But a 10g would be better than nothing. I'm not sure about good compatibilities. I heard dojo loaches go well but you might need a bigger tank as they can get to 8" (though they are gravel diggers). Goldfish are a lot of upkeep for what you get, imo. But if you're looking for a good deal, try craiglist, I just got a full 29g setup for $50.

siva said:
Well how big of a tank do these guys need for a permanent home? And is there anything else that could be kept with them in that tank?

He really should be in a 20g minimum, 30 is better. I keep danios and a snail in with my Moors. Don't get a cuc that's going to get huge, because you're just going to have to rehome it or go to a bigger tank.

So you have it now?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Rosenweiss said:
You keep danios with your moors? But aren't danios warmwater tropicals while moors need coldwater?

Nope keep my DT AT 73/74 and have been told the fancies aren't like commons in their needs. I was even warned that lower temps for Moors is harmful, but they'll survive OK. Everybody is happy, so happy my mated pair of Moors just laid about 500 eggs :D. The danios usually swiming all around, but schooled for the first time since they went in because if the spawning craziness.

Rosenweiss said:
Lol! Well I'm happy it's worked out so great for you then!

The ROT I heard was, when shooling fish spread out, they're happy/content, when bunched up they're scared. So I figure they're pretty happy :D.

Maybe so. I know that some schooling fish, like my glass cats, like to stay close together, even touching/rubbing, even when they're content. But these are "true schooling" fish. Danios are different though so I think you're right about them.

For a permanent home for just 1 moor, 20 gallons might be a good size. =] But a 10g would be better than nothing. I'm not sure about good compatibilities. I heard dojo loaches go well but you might need a bigger tank as they can get to 8" (though they are gravel diggers). Goldfish are a lot of upkeep for what you get, imo. But if you're looking for a good deal, try craiglist, I just got a full 29g setup for $50.

Funny you mention that, I was just reading this months aq fish intl, they featured the dojo loach and say it reaches 11" but that's it's "an excellent choice for a peaceful 20-gallon setup". Hmm..11"?...20 gals?...I just don't know about that! lol

He really should be in a 20g minimum, 30 is better. I keep danios and a snail in with my Moors. Don't get a cuc that's going to get huge, because you're just going to have to rehome it or go to a bigger tank.

So you have it now?

I don't but I'm still debating if I'm going to reco she take it to LFS or if I'm going to offer to take it. I have a 20 gal cycling. I do not however have the option to add any other larger tank. I am bringing a 55 gal in next for the RES I saved and I have no clue how I'm going to cram that in here as it is. I have never kept a coldwater tank and I thought it might be nice to. I could always take it to my lfs myself if it outgrows the 20. If I can put a little school of something in there with it I just might do it. What about a hillstream loach..don't some folks keep those with their goldies?

Yeah... I don't know about putting a dojo and a moor together in a 20g, it might be pushing it. Then again, with frequent water changes, it might be just the thing...

About the hillstream loach, I actually don't know. I have one in right now with community tropicals; it's doing all right.

Yeah... I don't know about putting a dojo and a moor together in a 20g, it might be pushing it. Then again, with frequent water changes, it might be just the thing...

About the hillstream loach, I actually don't know. I have one in right now with community tropicals; it's doing all right.

Same here. Speaking of, the past couple days I've been wondering more and more if mine's getting enough to eat. Do you supplement yours' diet with anything?

I wondered that too, considering I don't have any algae in the tank. But literally five minutes ago, I found him right on top of an algae wafer I set out for him. So, yeah, if you don't have algae, I'd supplement his diet with wafers.

I wondered that too, considering I don't have any algae in the tank. But literally five minutes ago, I found him right on top of an algae wafer I set out for him. So, yeah, if you don't have algae, I'd supplement his diet with wafers.

Ok good to know..I put wafers in just haven't seen him on one yet :cool:

LOL it was actually really funny, I dropped it for him earlier and wanted to get it near him since he is tiny and might not find it in a 29g. I accidentally aimed too well and it fell right on him and scared him away. XD But he came back for it later.

i like the idea of a 30 gallon then you can give he a tank mate i have a fancy fantail with my moor and they stay side by side all the time great tank mates

Back
Top Bottom