mopani wood driving me nuts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a large piece in my 20 gal and its covered in white fungus. I've soaked it in boiling water and scrubbed it but it insists on coming back. I have a smaller piece in my 30 gallon and its just fine. The big one stinks too. What gives? :(

lol. some wood is just like that. my piece of mopani got a ton of white mold stuff for a couple of months at first. I just scrubbed it off and siphoned it out and slowly it grew back less and less.

A BN pleco would solve the problem.

I wouldn't use a fish to cure a job that is harmless and will go away on it's own, plus it's only a 20g and we don't know what the bioload is now.

Im sure it's frustrating but it will slowly go away on it's own. I gave up on Mopani due that and the never ending tannins it leaches.

It is normal for most woods to do that. Time will get rid of it. Or, you can scrub it when you do your water changes if it bothers you that much. Some fish like to nibble on it. I know our otos and corys sure did.

As for the smell, yeah, that's pretty normal too. Grape vine is the worst stinker though. I'd rather sniff mopani. :)

Back
Top Bottom