Mopani

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitey73

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should I boil it for an will it ever stop leaching color?

Unless I'm mistaken, mopani is known for leaching for quite some time. I know a lot of people will run carbon in their tank if they don't like the tannins.

Where did you get it from? The boiling is mostly to kill the yucky things on and will help with the tannins. That being said if you don't mind the tannins boil to kill the nasties and then you can put it in the tank

bigbanker said:
Unless I'm mistaken, mopani is known for leaching for quite some time. I know a lot of people will run carbon in their tank if they don't like the tannins.

Where did you get it from? The boiling is mostly to kill the yucky things on and will help with the tannins. That being said if you don't mind the tannins boil to kill the nasties and then you can put it in the tank

Yeah had it in my tank an it just turned it tea color lost power for 6 days thought I'd take it out an boil the **** out of it was using carbon filters but still was a tea color don't no if I'm going to but back in love the look but a pain in the ***!!!

I had a piece of mopani, boiled it for 18 hours, and it STILL leeched a small amount of tannins in to my tank. Honestly, tannins are just an eyesore to the aquarist, and don't have any negative effects to your tank. Some fish, like cory catfish, actually PREFER to have tannins in their water. So, if you don't want to boil it any more, don't feel like you have to.

Back
Top Bottom