More Concerns! sorry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nybillygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Soon i will be known as the P.I.T.A of the forum... with my previous post...

i only have 40lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand in my 75 Gallon tank.. and a additional 5lbs of Live rock and Live Sand In my refugium...

is this going to prolong my cycle? am i short on live rock? and that it won't cycle properly? should i add live rock to during my slow cycle now?
or will that throw things off?

also since i havent cycle yet and i have a refugium as my filter will that affect my cycle?

also because my tap water is 20 ppm with the Nitrates will that affect a cycle...

i just want to make sure that i have all my ducks in a row and things i need to have a healty setup... i'am in no rush to add fish, just want to make sure that i'am on track..

thank you

Nybillygoat said:
Soon i will be known as the P.I.T.A of the forum... with my previous post...

i only have 40lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand in my 75 Gallon tank.. and a additional 5lbs of Live rock and Live Sand In my refugium...

If live rock is to be your sole method of filtration, you should have no less than 75-100lbs of liverock total in my opinion. 1-1.5lbs per gallon is pretty standard.

Nybillygoat said:
is this going to prolong my cycle? am i short on live rock? and that it won't cycle properly? should i add live rock to during my slow cycle now?
or will that throw things off?

Adding more "cured" liverock should help speed up your cycle as it's already seeded with good bacteria. I don't believe adding liverock will slow your cycle or throw it off.

Nybillygoat said:
also since i havent cycle yet and i have a refugium as my filter will that affect my cycle?

Nope. Your fuge will just cycle at the same time.

Nybillygoat said:
also because my tap water is 20 ppm with the Nitrates will that affect a cycle...

No but it may give you issues with cyano later on. When your cycle is complete, you nitrates will be high and a water change is needed. If you already have nitrates in your water, your not really making any headway. If you haven't already, you may want to check into a RO/DI unit. Of course, if your gonna fill your fuge with macros, that will help.

Nybillygoat said:
i just want to make sure that i have all my ducks in a row and things i need to have a healty setup... i'am in no rush to add fish, just want to make sure that i'am on track..

thank you

That's the best thing you could do for your tank and you are doing it the right way. Get as much info as you can and do it right the first time around. :) Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom