more fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin_j001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I've got a ~60 gallon tank currently that has a larger pleco (about 8" long), two smaller Golden Severum's (bought just recently when they were tiny, but they're growing fast), two tiger barbs, a single rainbow (~2"), and two smaller catfish (only about 1" each) in it.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what type of fish I can safely add (if any). I originally had 4 tiger barbs, two have since disappeared (literally--not sure if the severums got them or not, but the severums weren't much larger at the time). I'm hoping for something that I can add 2-3 of, possible a bit more of a "schooling" fish that will have some color in it as well.

Tank setup is gravel with a few pieces of slate for the catfish and pleco to hide in, and a good bit of driftwood. Currently running an Eheim 2213, but upgrading to the 2215 (should be shipping today! :) ). Tank has been up and running for many years now, so its pretty stable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Got the Eheim 2215 in and set up today--much more water flow, and more filtration too, which won't hurt.

Here's a picture of the tank in question....

img_817901_0_d9e2147cb45c2a60ac7b840c424301c4.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the two catfish--any idea what kind they are? They haven't grown much since I got them, not that I'd be unhappy if they stayed this size....

img_817901_1_927f85a51119a664a0601b0b03c38898.jpg

A picture of the pleco in his "hiding spot" (side of the tank closest to a wall)...

img_817901_2_5f3f7fcef2649de75e56c9920266b2ea.jpg

And the two severums (larger one in the top pic, he's a bit more aggressive)....

img_817901_3_e32a1b7fe658c5c13bc525c70e5e8d70.jpg

img_817901_4_3841888363eedc479882a0af1cb95a10.jpg

The catfish are corydoras of some sort. Tiger barbs usually do well in large schools. I'd almost say that with those inhabitants in a tank that size...you could add 5+tiger barbs. I remember someone here on the boards went out and picked up 12 tiger barbs and added to his 75g one day, however I'm not sure what the other inhabitants were.

Thanks for the id on the cats! Do you think more barbs would get along with the tiger barbs I already have in there (not pictured)?

Well, decided to change this tank up a little bit. Not sure if anyone can tell from the pics, but the water was quite full of tannins--very yellowed--so, I removed some of the older/cruddier wood that I had. I've also always liked plants, but never had much luck with them.... I decided to try some more anyways, even if they end up as fish food. Also switched to an Aqua-Glo light instead of standard fluorescent.

img_818012_0_611ca67425f2fa0f32d71612f91cfc28.jpg

img_818012_1_b2d229de11bc908d41a25a9e2ee4a7ea.jpg

img_818012_2_8b6ae552c6877f3ff92b3185848e80d8.jpg

i think d disappearance on ur tiger barbs aren't because of ur silverums. . .
i had those about 4 years ago n when i'm very late in giving them their meal, they'll just devour each other, esp the weak ones. ..
they're pure cannibals, so dont be confused if one by one of ur barbs dissapear into thin water ^^
how about adding a couple of mayan or cobalt blue or yellow lab cichlids ??? they're cute n very active anyhow, n they wont eat each other, even if u didn't feed them for 3-5 days. . .but IME, they'll just eat ur plants, not very destructive though.

since last month, my cichlids haven't disturb any fish around, not even my calm rainbow shark, pleco, and cories. one f my rainbow shark was missing, but it seems that it was eaten by my Animus[8"senegal bichir]^^ it does chase tiny river fish that i put as fish food, but if ur silverums are larger, i think it won't be any probz, in this case is that this chiclids are abit smaller than ur other fish.

Cool. I just did some searching on those varieties of cichlid, and according to a few sites there are many out there that are listed as "compatible" with the severums. My severums are still pretty small--not much larger than the tiger barbs I have, so adding other semi-aggressive smaller cichlids may work still work well at this time....

it sounds like the cichlids in question are africans, which require very different water conditions from the severums. I wouldn't try it....

I'd suggest adding either more tiger barbs or more rainbows to form a school. They will be happier that way, and the action will distract the severums and keep them busy and out of trouble.

What wattage is that light fixture? The sword plant might do OK if you've got at least 1 watt per gallon, but it would probably like a couple of root tabs, too. The other plants probably won't be too happy unless you have 2 wpg or more.

i think it depends, wether u want a fast moving fish (fun chaser) or slower schooling ones. . .
severums could stand higher pH and also the temprature is just as same as these cichlids, and cichlids are very strong fish. ..they can stand water condition changes. ..very flexible really, but i don't really know, i'm trying to be at 100% devoting my time for my fish though, coz i got schoolwork to do .T _ T.
the only problem i have in my tank is that they're to small and bright that they're eaten also by Animus. ..my pH is 7.0 and my dot and doubledots [cobalt blue cichlids] are fine. ..
if im not mistaken, the pH for severum is about 6.0-7.2 ???
one problem i guess is just the GH condition, since severum love soft waters whilst african cichlids would prefer harder condition. ..but the'll tolerate that problem as well^^

Well, I ended up getting two young Electric Yellow Cichlids. So far, they are doing well, and my Severums don't mind them at all. After getting them home, and in the tank, I found info about the different water condition recommendations. Hopefully I can find a happy medium in my tank for them to grow in. Worst case scenario, I'll have to set up another tank for them--I won't mind, but the wife might lol.... Hopefully all goes well, I'll be keeping a close eye on them for a while. I'll try to get some pics sometime soon too.

newfound--as for the plants, there's no way they're getting enough light then. I guess I'll just consider them snacking material for the fish....the light I have is an older, single 30w bulb. That may be one of the next things I upgrade, but light setups seem to be pretty expensive these days....

martin_j001 said:
Here's a closer shot of the two catfish--any idea what kind they are? They haven't grown much since I got them, not that I'd be unhappy if they stayed this size....

Emerald Green Corydoras to be precise, thats as big as they get. However, get 2 to 3 more, they will be much happier as they prefer groups and will establish a pecking order. They are also very friendly and very inquisitive.

actually. ...they're still quite young. . .n i guess they're no more then 7 months ???
they could grow some more, up to 2.5" if they survive up to 3 or 4 years. ..and yes they definitely love to be in a small school of a same kind, doesn't have to be in the same precise species though. .

Back
Top Bottom