More oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normal9

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a fluval u3 filter in my 12g tank and never had any problems until now.

Earlier today I bought 4 guppies and the current in the water seemed too strong for them (I had the bubbles coming from the top nozzle) so I turned it so the water flow was coming out of the bottom nozzle but this still seemed too strong.

I then changed it so the air was flowing from the middle section and all fished seemed more comfortable with this. I have just been to check on them and all fish seem to be gasping for air but are not at the top of the tank. I have an airstone in the tank too.

Any advice on what is wrong? Or suggestions on filter settings?

I'm going to assume that the oxygen isn't the problem since you have an air stone. If you want to get more oxygen in the water point the filter output at the surface of the water.

I would second that opinion. With an air stone, there shouldn't be any issues with oxygen levels. What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Temperature, and PH?

Minimal surface agitation will add enough oxygen. If fish are gasping, something else is wrong. Like Kevin said, what are your chemistry stats?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for your replies. I've not got a test kit but my cory recently had fry, all of which are healthy (nearly a month old) so my water must be ok right?

The fish only started gasping since I changed the output on the filter so I'm confused. Fast flow, none of my fish gasp but struggle with the flow, medium and low flow they all gasp but seem to be able to swim better

Are you able to direct it towards the surface? An air stone itself should provide plenty of oxygen. Most tanks don't even use them if there's surface agitation.

Can't really say much more without knowing your water stats. The powerhead isn't going to make your entire tank heavy breathers. That going to be temperature and the other chemicals in the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom