most of my fish, can you help with identiy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbo V6 Camaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
we knew what some where from a Cichlid store but we didn't right it down lol

And the females we dont know at all

1. Bule/gold?
892046434_T2e8c-XL.jpg

2. Red Emperas ?
892048177_Ma9ML-XL.jpg

3. yellow lab ?
892047047_F9wSU-XL.jpg

4. electric blue
892047258_t8LhU-XL.jpg

5. Giraffe
892047353_764up-XL.jpg

6. ???
892047426_MYnps-XL.jpg

7. ?? female i think
892047631_Zmq4i-XL.jpg

8. ??
892047767_q6dzX-XL.jpg

9. ??
892047913_bYSpn-XL.jpg

10. ?
892048020_D8KHg-XL.jpg

11. ?? peacock i think
892048399_quxLD-XL.jpg

12. ?
892048669_Lvjwa-XL.jpg

13. ?? (can't see it but hes light blue )
892048809_z95hr-XL.jpg

14. ??
892048913_FEcWT-XL.jpg

15. ??
892049008_MDBsq-XL.jpg

16. ??
892049146_Md77w-XL.jpg

17. ?
892049287_upNyc-XL.jpg

18 ?

892049500_Ltd9a-XL.jpg

19. ?? (carrying lol )
892049801_uT7PB-XL.jpg

20. ??
892049923_4jcq9-XL.jpg

21-22. in the back (both of them)
892050133_TuCr6-XL.jpg

892050260_68fY4-XL.jpg

24. ??
892050355_rhCXR-XL.jpg

892050580_oCDu8-XL.jpg

892050770_KuUzP-XL.jpg

892050894_ynMeU-XL.jpg

892051010_TD5Wc-XL.jpg

892051256_GhcQc-XL.jpg

892051872_UDiaZ-XL.jpg

thanks sorry if some are repeats tried to get everyone !!!

i think you've got #'s 2 and 3 correct...#5 is a venustus, never heard it called a giraffe, but if thats what you're referring to, you're correct... #6 is a kenyi, either a female or a juvie... #20 may be an albino socolofi, maybe an albino zebra?

man, i really need to brush up on my id'ing skills! you have quite a nice collection of fish there :) Have you checked cichlid-forum.com on their profiles page? I'm headed there right now to try and find some more id's for you :)

#1 looks like a jacobfrebergi, #7 is a female peacock so may be his??

#30 & 23 are male peacocks colouring up... need to wait and see...

#24, 25, 26 and #11 are dragonblood/tangerine Peacock... (or albino dragonblood).... or whatever name the breeder gives them at the time.

#16, 17, 18 are OB peacocks sometimes called Calico

the Kenyi is also known Lombardoi

#14 maybe a Blue Orchid peacock

#13 looks bloated... maybe isolate and treat with epsom slats?

#21 & 22 and 28 & 29 are either juvenile or female peacocks

#19 might be a female electric blue, might also be a female Blue Orchid

The Haps might be a species of Protomelas.... You'll have to wait until they grow.

Most of mine are best guesses8O, but I'm sure they are close.. ;) Get Lake Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat 4th edn and look at all the pictures... Fish become familiar.

- You have a lot of female peacocks, the boys might be happy but they won't know which one is thiers, most likely. You might even have to take out some males as a breeding male peacock will become agressive and drive away other males seen as a threat. Particularly if their colouration is similar.

i think you've got #'s 2 and 3 correct...#5 is a venustus, never heard it called a giraffe, but if thats what you're referring to, you're correct... #6 is a kenyi, either a female or a juvie... #20 may be an albino socolofi, maybe an albino zebra?

man, i really need to brush up on my id'ing skills! you have quite a nice collection of fish there :) Have you checked cichlid-forum.com on their profiles page? I'm headed there right now to try and find some more id's for you :)

Have been doing that, Thank for helping and taking the time to look at all of them. Just trying to confirm what we have lol

MFD got the ones I could help with....20 is an albino zebra...I'm useless on the haps lol

1 is better then not knowing thanks for your help

#1 looks like a jacobfrebergi, #7 is a female peacock so may be his??

#30 & 23 are male peacocks colouring up... need to wait and see...

#24, 25, 26 and #11 are dragonblood/tangerine Peacock... (or albino dragonblood).... or whatever name the breeder gives them at the time.

#16, 17, 18 are OB peacocks sometimes called Calico

the Kenyi is also known Lombardoi

#14 maybe a Blue Orchid peacock

#13 looks bloated... maybe isolate and treat with epsom slats?

#21 & 22 and 28 & 29 are either juvenile or female peacocks

#19 might be a female electric blue, might also be a female Blue Orchid

The Haps might be a species of Protomelas.... You'll have to wait until they grow.

wow thanks a ton!!

i think you are right on #1 and #7 we got them from the same shop at the same time......

#13 has always been fat, hes 3 time the size he was when we got him (just growing the fat belly never went away)

Most of mine are best guesses8O, but I'm sure they are close.. ;) Get Lake Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat 4th edn and look at all the pictures... Fish become familiar.

- You have a lot of female peacocks, the boys might be happy but they won't know which one is thiers, most likely. You might even have to take out some males as a breeding male peacock will become agressive and drive away other males seen as a threat. Particularly if their colouration is similar.

are there any in there that are going to get Huge or anything ? I'd like to know now so i can find them a good home or start saving for a large tank for them

I consider large over 6 inches at full growth

Right now the most aggressive males is the yellow lab :shotgun:that may change next week.

Do you know off the top of your head what one can mate and what one can't?

again thanks everyone for your help and time :D

All of the peacocks will breed with any of the feamles you have regardless of colour variety. And the Red Empress will breed with any of the female protomelas.... If they are small red emps then no hybrids.

Be careful with the fat one, he might be over fed.... problems may arise.

All the peacocks will get to 6" and the Red empresses can be quite active and may need a bigger tank especially if heavily stocked.

Venustus generally need a 5' tank for swimming space. Mine is 10"+ and can grow to 11"+

All of the peacocks will breed with any of the feamles you have regardless of colour variety. And the Red Empress will breed with any of the female protomelas.... If they are small red emps then no hybrids.

Be careful with the fat one, he might be over fed.... problems may arise.

All the peacocks will get to 6" and the Red empresses can be quite active and may need a bigger tank especially if heavily stocked.

Venustus generally need a 5' tank for swimming space. Mine is 10"+ and can grow to 11"+
:crazyeyes::crazyeyes::crazyeyes:

You have the makings of a great all male hap/peacock tank. Then you can keep 1 of each colour variety of each peacock. It can be spectacular.

It's entirely possible the blue and yellow and the red empress male may end up in a totally separate tank with a little harem of females we KNOW are their breeds. I have to do some more research on them first, but that may be a component of my final project for my degree. :p

It has egg spots on its bottom fin.. Which is a trait NOT associated with Yellow labs.

It has egg spots on its bottom fin.. Which is a trait NOT associated with Yellow labs.
I would have NEVER known that! Thanks! Kinda interesting. :p

I would expect that about half of our fish in this tank are potentially hybrids since they came out of 'assorted cichlid' tanks at our LFS. The other half or so we bought from a more reputable store. Some we bought with an actual species known. (till we forgot anyway) A lot of the peacock females we bought out of the 'female tank' at that store. Probably not hybrids, but we don't know the species. We aren't really intending to breed in this tank, if we get babies we get babies but we're not actively trying to breed so we aren't bothered by hybrids in this tank. The eventual 'research tank' will be a lot more strictly controlled!

Back
Top Bottom