Mounds in sand. Look like ant hills.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky@3rdshift

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I get up in the mornings I have several mounds of sand that look like ant hills in various areas of my tank. Any ideas on what is doing this?
I don't see anything disturbing yet except the mounds.

Thanks
Rickly

What critters do you have in your tank? Are the mounds at the base of your liverock?

Ok I have 3 crabs 2 red legs 1 blue,
1 emerald crab, 5 snails all of the turbo variety, 1 green chromis, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 dominio damsel, 1 yellow damsel, 1 green clown goby, and about 40lbs of various LR mostly marshell, and Fiji. i have had possibly some spagetti worms that leave the webs all over, and have various fether dusters on the rocks, as well as various #'s of pods as of recently.

If the mounds are at the base of the rock, it could be from some rock boring worms escavating.

Its out in the middle. Looks like something is pushing up from the bottom out to the top. or burrowing down like an ant. they are only like 1/2 inch in diameter total.

I have seen mounds like that with spaghetti worms. Do you see any small hairlike appendages extending from the mounds?

Try and look REAL close if you see a little tiny duster worm coming out of the hole. I have alot of these on my rock that has turned up the last few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom