Mounting frags??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Schneidt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm new into the reef game and my question is when I'm ready to put corals in my tank, now do I mount them and what do I do with the plug they're on? Thanks

You can use a two-part reef-safe epoxy or super glue. The epoxy is sold in many LFS (PetSmart carries one with the Instant Ocean label in my area for $6.99). When you buy it, the outside is one color with the inside another. You pinch off a piece and knead it until it's all one color and the consistency of Silly Putty. Then just put the frag or plug where you want it. When the epoxy hardens, it's close to concrete.

Super glue (cyanoacrylate) might scare you, but it's actually very reef safe. The gel type tends to work faster. Just dab a little bit on the bottom of the frag and hold in posistion until it begins to set.

IMO mount the frags freely to find out the best placement for your frags. Once you find a location where it thrives, only than secure it. Epoxy will make it a permanent location. With super glue( preferably reef glue) you can always snap it and move the coral around if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom