Moved and Complete Chaos Set In

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendingo813

Aquarium Advice Newbie
McClellandtown PA (about an hr outside Pittsburgh)
Hi All...

I have had several aquariums for a few years now. I recently bought a house 4 hours away from my last home. I adopted out a lot of my fish and narrowed everything down to just 3 main tanks (my betta, my 40 gallon community freshwater, and my 5 gallon fiddler crab tank).

I transported the fish in a bucket with a battery operated air pump and started working on the aquariums as soon as the truck was unloaded. I brought some of the original tank water with me but not more than 10 gallons (out of the 40). The rest was water from my faucet (from a private well).

Everyone seemed to be taking to the tranisition fine and were all happy and healthy. I only kept my angel, about 6 neons, a cori catfish, a clown pleco, 3 white skirt tetras, an upside down catfish and my flower shrimp.

Once I got the tank set up, I added some more neons, 2 frogs, and 2 baby angels.

I had a major snail outbreak (which I think was under control before because of my loaches which I had gotten rid of before moving). I know better than to buy fish at walmart but they had a puffer who was super cute and I know they love to eat snails (I had puffers before I left and gave the whole tank to a friend).

Anyway... within a few days of the puffer being in the tank... he started showing signs of ich. I took him out and started treating him right away. A few days after that, I noticed a few of my other fish were effected. I quarentined my frogs and shrimp (because the medicine said it was not acceptable for them) and proceded to treat the whole tank... exactly as directed.

First my long time beloved angel died, then the baby angels, then my pleco, then my upside down catfish. My heart is breaking. I cant stand the thought of loosing another precious fish.

I did a water test and my ph level was maxing out the test at 7.6. I have never issues with high PH before and am not sure if that has anything to do with what is happening.

The tank has been set up for about 3 weeks now. It is a planted aquarium with 3 large pieces of mopani wood.

The survivors all look strong and I think they are going to pull through but I am worried about adding anyone new.

I need to get loaches because the snails are out of control.

I know this is long so THANK YOU for reading... I appreciate any advice you might have.

Wendi :confused:

wendingo813 said:
Hi All...

I have had several aquariums for a few years now. I recently bought a house 4 hours away from my last home. I adopted out a lot of my fish and narrowed everything down to just 3 main tanks (my betta, my 40 gallon community freshwater, and my 5 gallon fiddler crab tank).

I transported the fish in a bucket with a battery operated air pump and started working on the aquariums as soon as the truck was unloaded. I brought some of the original tank water with me but not more than 10 gallons (out of the 40). The rest was water from my faucet (from a private well).

Everyone seemed to be taking to the tranisition fine and were all happy and healthy. I only kept my angel, about 6 neons, a cori catfish, a clown pleco, 3 white skirt tetras, an upside down catfish and my flower shrimp.

Once I got the tank set up, I added some more neons, 2 frogs, and 2 baby angels.

I had a major snail outbreak (which I think was under control before because of my loaches which I had gotten rid of before moving). I know better than to buy fish at walmart but they had a puffer who was super cute and I know they love to eat snails (I had puffers before I left and gave the whole tank to a friend).

Anyway... within a few days of the puffer being in the tank... he started showing signs of ich. I took him out and started treating him right away. A few days after that, I noticed a few of my other fish were effected. I quarentined my frogs and shrimp (because the medicine said it was not acceptable for them) and proceded to treat the whole tank... exactly as directed.

First my long time beloved angel died, then the baby angels, then my pleco, then my upside down catfish. My heart is breaking. I cant stand the thought of loosing another precious fish.

I did a water test and my ph level was maxing out the test at 7.6. I have never issues with high PH before and am not sure if that has anything to do with what is happening.

The tank has been set up for about 3 weeks now. It is a planted aquarium with 3 large pieces of mopani wood.

The survivors all look strong and I think they are going to pull through but I am worried about adding anyone new.

I need to get loaches because the snails are out of control.

I know this is long so THANK YOU for reading... I appreciate any advice you might have.

Wendi :confused:

I am so sorry for your losses
I would get some khuli loaches- a small school

What type of medication did you use? I had a similar experience while using rid ich plus... It destroyed the beneficial bacteria in my tank and my fish suffered from ammonia burn, I didn't realize that one of the active ingredients is formaldehyde... Never again! I'm sorry to hear about your tragic loss!

what are your water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites? your tank might be cycling since you added 30 gals of new water. without the test results no one will really know how to advise you.

jpchin said:
what are your water parameters? ph, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites? your tank might be cycling since you added 30 gals of new water. without the test results no one will really know how to advise you.

Adding new water doesn't change anything

Adding new water doesn't change anything

yes of course you're right emerald76 . sorry. i was also writing on another site and got some of the information mixed up. what i wanted to say is that the beneficial bacteria might need to catch up to the tank. that's why i asked for water parameters to see if the tank might be going through a mini cycle and maybe the ammonia was up. however the water params were never posted.;)

Back
Top Bottom