Moving a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bohte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I only have a 2.5 gallon tank with two tetras (they will be upgraded to a larger tank and school enlarged once my move is successful). I may be moving as far as an 18 hour drive. Any tips on transporting my two little tetras? Do you think they would survive the trip!? Would it be better to donate them to a local fish store? I just love my little fishies so much and don't want to leave them behind!

I'm sure someone will chime in, but you just reminded me, I saw a battery power air bubbler for just such an event. Kept the water moving and air-raided for the time needed to move. It was at bass pro shop I believe. I'm sure their are easier ways tho

moving

pack them up just as you were going to ship them put them in a box with heat if ya need it for the weather and wrap ags in newspaper and place in car but be sure you dont sit them in front of heat or sun if hot or air if ac is on just set aq back up drip acclimate like you would if you were putting in aq from new arrival but be sure that the temp is set at usual temp and just put aq in a large bucket or cooler with lid

Here a good tip. Add some hydrogen peroxide for oxygen (its good for 24h.) Transfer all the water and fish that you have in your fish tank into the safe bucket, like a wine bucket.

Here the reason why your or any fish would die mysteriously and why its connected to moving them in long distance.

Fish have a sensible connection that like human, cannot be ignore (like a needle under you feats). Long period of stress will get you sick, so has them.
So any vibration from continuous motor or simply walking hard around the house is very bad(if aquarium not directly on cement). In your case, bad road could be fatal if they are not healthy. That why baby fish are transported, they are not fully develope and are less prone from this effect in transport.
So, when someone ask me if the noise from the bubble in a air pumps will stress the fish, i say no. But if you fell the vibration of they air pump, i say yes.

Now, i am thinking that your 2 tetra should be ok for the hole trip in a car or airplane. Actually, are temperature are mild, its the best time of the year to move them. And if your car is modify in a low profile and 1 inch tires, that will destroyed your fish and your back in the process. lol.

p.s. Shipping method from above are ok to.

Back
Top Bottom