Moving...best way to transport fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I have decided to move to another state. It will take approximately 3 days before we can arrive at the new place and I don't think the fish can make it in buckets that long plus there is the whole logistical nightmare of it all....anyway I need to give/sell all of my plants and fish away. I anticipate needing to take most of my fish to a pet store in town that is 90 miles away.

I do not have the right kind of bags to bag them up and have no time to get them. So I am thinking put them in a combinatinon of two buckets and hope for the best....two of them are discus and I am worried about whether they will make it....once they are turned over to the new people it is out of my hands but I want to get them there with as little stress as possible.

Any suggestions???

Buckets with an airstone and heater running off a DC-to-AC converter is what I used to move a friends tank 5 hours away (closer to 9 hrs after unpacking). All fish survived with no problems.

Buckets with an airstone and heater running off a DC-to-AC converter is what I used to move a friends tank 5 hours away (closer to 9 hrs after unpacking). All fish survived with no problems.

Yea, even if you plan on taking the fish with you, you would have to worry about filtration because you could just either not feed them, or do large water changes each day in the buckets.

The only other thing to remember is to keep your filter media WET so that you don't loose all the beneficial bacteria during the move.

Yeah, it would be several days and I wouldn't be able to get to them plus it would get too cold in the truck and I am just not willing to deal with it. We are moving to a rental and I don't want to set it up for a few months anyway until we are settled and I can afford to spend money on it.

I have 3 buckets (with lids) so I will take them all to town and sell them. I think if it is our first stop they will be ok. They will give me store credit which I can gift to my mother in law.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is really about a 1.25 hr drive to town so if I have them inside the car with me they shouldn't get too cold and they should make it fine. I might even be able to hook up the air pump with the inverter.

I will also probably stop feeding them for a day or two prior to clean them out before the transport. I have had fish shipped to me before I just wasnt sure how it would be without the proper bags etc. but I guess if this is the best I can do it is better than killing them.

...It is really about a 1.25 hr drive to town so if I have them inside the car with me they shouldn't get too cold and they should make it fine. I might even be able to hook up the air pump with the inverter....

I wouldn't bother with the air pump for just a 1-2 hour drive. If the buckets are not over crowded, they should have plenty of air, and I would rather have the ability to have sealed lids on the buckets in case of sudden stops (wouldn't want to risk tumping and open bucket over).

I wouldn't bother with the air pump for just a 1-2 hour drive. If the buckets are not over crowded, they should have plenty of air, and I would rather have the ability to have sealed lids on the buckets in case of sudden stops (wouldn't want to risk tumping and open bucket over).

So true....that would be AWEFUL :puppydogeyes:

I always wondered about this too...

I've been wanting to move to Texas within a few years. :D

why would you want to come here.. its hot.. then its cold... then its hot.. then it rains... then its humid.. then it freezes.. then your crying about it being 110 with 40% humidity lol

why would you want to come here.. its hot.. then its cold... then its hot.. then it rains... then its humid.. then it freezes.. then your crying about it being 110 with 40% humidity lol

I used to live in Dallas during my middle/high school years and I fell in love with it there. In any case, it's still warmer in the winter there then up north here. If I have to take one more 5-10 degree day I'm going to go insane!

Back
Top Bottom