Moving Day 55gal to 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I had an exciting Friday night. I got out the Rubbermaid tubs, the 5 gal buckets, Syphon hoses, the Python, and the too numerous to count towels to move my 55gal to a 75gal. If that is exciting, then I really am getting old.

Pulled out all the LR and syphoned in some tank water, threw in a PH and a heater to keep things going.

Pulled out the anemone rocks and put them in a bucket with tank water, a PH and a heater.

Did the same for the fish and the starfish.

Sucked the remaining tank water out with the Python (I love this thing).

Recruited the wife to help move the old tank out and bring the new 75 gal and stand in.

Dropped in the pre-rinsed new sand, wanted to change to more of a "beachy" look. Covered with a couple of trash bags to keep the sandstorm down and proceeded to fill with 76 degree water from the Python (I love this thing).

Added a heater, a couple of PH's, and some Prime. Let it stir for a few minutes. Then I started adding my salt (Oceanic) in increments until I read 1.023.

Let it stir overnight and into the afternoon. Checked all water parameters before the acclimating began.

Put the LR in and started emptying some of the water from each of the livestock, coral, and anemone containers. Started drip acclimating them all and over the next couple of hours, I added them all to the tank. Finally added the anemone and Linkia Star after about 4 hours of acclimation.

Everyone is happy and swimming around after a few hours of hiding in the rocks. Clarkii has found his anemone, others are swimming around, Linkia is on the glass and rocks and the Serpent star is exploring the rocks.

I am wondering if I should add a Tang to the mix now , or maybe a couple of small schooling fish that will inhabit the open water portion of the tank.

I'll post pics when the water clears a little more.

roka64 said:
Sweet! Congrats.

Thanks. I was most worried about the Red Linkia and the anemones. They seem to be doing fine though.

I just did the freshwater version of that two weekends ago-I bet you slept well! This is why we have spouses; to help us move the big tanks when we upgrade.

Congratulations on a successful swap! Question: Do you like your python? :wink:

Hope all goes well. You did keep the licknia in water during the whole transaction. Cant wait for the pics.

plecoperson said:
I just did the freshwater version of that two weekends ago-I bet you slept well! This is why we have spouses; to help us move the big tanks when we upgrade.

Congratulations on a successful swap! Question: Do you like your python? :wink:

Could you tell?

This thing comes in handy with the Cichlid tank, which is why I originally bought it. Water changes are a snap. Just add Prime and you are GTG.

The 75gal Cichlid tank I set up over Christmas is the reason I wanted to upgrade to the 75gal SW.

melosu58 said:
Hope all goes well. You did keep the licknia in water during the whole transaction. Cant wait for the pics.

Yup, I pulled him off a rock and put him in a specimen holder, all while under water. Then I just submerged that in the Rubbermaid and let him climb out himself.

Did the same thing in reverse when I acclimated him.

He is on the glass now with one of his arms flaoting in the water as usual.

Back
Top Bottom