Moving fish to the other side of the country - Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all;

I have a big, big problem. I may bet getting a job with a company based in Fort McMurray Alberta and I currently live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Anyone familiar with Canadian geography would know that there is a huge distance between these two locations (about a 9 hour flight).

The company in question is paying to relocate me. The deal is something like this: I take a plane out with a couple of suitcases with only essential items (cloths etc) and live in company owned apartments for a maximum of two months while I find a permanent place of residence. Once I find a place, the company will pay for a moving contractor to go to my house and pack all of my belongings into an "18 wheeler" and then deliver it all to my new residence in Alberta. Obviously I can not trust them to take care of my fish for this trip -therein lies the problem. Though I can get them to move the aquariums (empty of course) they will not be able to move the fish. So basically I am screwed. I WILL NOT euthanize my pets as I care far to much for them and am very much pro-life for ALL living things.

All of that being said I should also mention that while I am in Alberta I would be unable to come home, pack up my fish and drive back out with them (in which case I am sure I could care for them during the trip) due to my schedule. If the drive only took a few days then I might have been able to pull it off but in reality I have been told the drive would take somewhere around 10 to 13 days. Being a new employee on probation it is pretty obvious that my new employer would not give me this time off and would likely frown upon me even asking for such a favor. Also, my fiancee would be unable to do the drive as she is not comfortable driving in the first place let alone driving a huge truck 3/4 the way across Canada.

So here is the only plan I can come up with and I am hoping that someone out there can either help me tweak this plan or give me an even better one. I was thinking that perhaps I could move to Alberta and save up to buy a new aquarium. When I get my new place I could set it up, cycle it and have it "fish ready" for when my pets arrive. In other words, the greatest challenge would be relocating the fish not necessarily their habitats. Since driving them across the country is out of the question do to my circumstances I was thinking perhaps I could fly them (yes they are worth that much to me even though they are cheap items at WalMart -I LOVE them). Therein lies another problem: I obviously could not have them booked as normal 'cargo' on a commercial flight do to the way these people handle the luggage. I have seen them loading and unloading checked baggage and it is a frightening site; they just toss everything around giving no consideration as to the contents of the bags. I mean, someone could be carrying priceless china -do the baggage guys care? It sure seems not. So as I said, booking them as 'checked baggage' simple would not work. I also considered claiming them as 'carry on' while containing them in small, separate rubber made containers all housed in a single container. Of course each container would have an airator. However, do to the recent terrorist threats which caused a ban on liquids being taken on any aircraft, I would be unable to do this. All this being said, it seems like there is no way I could fly my fish out to Alberta (which would be perfect because it would only take 9 hours after which time I could put them in an established -ready to go- tank).

If I was able to fly the fish out I figured I would point out that I would be on board with them. In other words, I would fly home to get them and then fly back out to Alberta with them. I could potentially do this in about a three day period.

I also wanted to point out that while I am in Alberta (and even after my stuff is moved by that moving company) my current tanks will be staying at my home in Cape Breton. In other words, at no point in time will my fish be homeless! I just re-read my post and noticed that it sounded like I was going to have the moving company take the tanks but not the fish... Not the case. I was just pointing out that they could take the tanks minus the fish.

Lastly. I have heard of people mailing fish. This seems like it would be not only illegal but cruel and extremely stressful to the fish. However, if euthanasia is the only other option perhaps the mail isn't such a bad idea.

Please post your comments, thoughts or criticism (I'm a big boy, I can take it). I really appreciate any feed back I get from anyone.

Even if you think the idea is nuts.... If you think it will work, post it.

I can't put a price tag on how much I am willing to spend on the relocation of my fish. All I can say is I will spend however much it takes (I have even been considering booking a private jet).

I now consider this post complete. Please post comments or links.

I forgot to thank everyone for helping me with this. Words could not possibly express my gratitude for assistance regarding this issue. Just let me say thank you so much!!

Also: Bruce, Niles, Fernando, Heraldo, Sean, Fabio, Zoro, Honze and my currently un-named Betta thank you as well!! :lol:

Best,
Joe

Ok here are my thoughts:

go to alberta and find either a reputable fish owner or fish store. Offer to pay for a tank and maintenance/care fees.

Ship the fish via OVERNIGHT MAIL as you would shipping internet sale fish. Many people here ship fish regularly and might be able to help you with this.

once they get to alberta, the fish keeper should be able to handle caring for them temporarily for a 2 month period.

That is what i would do.

BUMP

Sorry for the bump. Just wanted to bump this message because I recently updated and completed it.

Please leave me your comments/suggestions/ideas!

Thanks a billion and again, sorry for the bump!

Joe

umm euthanasia should never be a problem to anyone but a sick fish owner...

sell or give them to a friend or petstore...

actually mailing fish (given your doing it right) works well, although out of every so many crates, there will occasionally be a dead crate

I think shipping the fish would work out. See if you can work out a deal with your lfs like Fishypeanut said. Take your fish to your lfs in Cape Breton and ask if they will ship them to the lfs in Fort McMurray that you have arranged to receive them. The lfs in Cape Breton should be able to package them safely for shipping, and the lfs in Fort McMurray will be able to acclimate the fish and set up a temporary tank for you while you get everything ready and settle into your new home. Good luck! (I was just thinking the other day that I must visit Cape Breton sometime during my life!) :)

if you stated what fish you had in your "myinfo" might help, depending on what fish you have. if you have a fish you really care about, ask the airline if you could bring a cooler with fish as your on board luggage.

in june i brought 2 large domino's pizzas on a plane from myrtle beach to detroit. although airport security teased me...

An t-iasg said:
I think shipping the fish would work out. See if you can work out a deal with your lfs like Fishypeanut said. Take your fish to your lfs in Cape Breton and ask if they will ship them to the lfs in Fort McMurray that you have arranged to receive them. The lfs in Cape Breton should be able to package them safely for shipping, and the lfs in Fort McMurray will be able to acclimate the fish and set up a temporary tank for you while you get everything ready and settle into your new home. Good luck! (I was just thinking the other day that I must visit Cape Breton sometime during my life!) :)

That sounds like a fantastic idea but the problem is the only LFS here is WALMART.... *cringes* I wouldn't trust them to do a PWC on my tank let alone put the lives of my fish in their hands.

Thanks so much for the great advice though! It's just too bad I don't have the resources to utilize it :(

===============================================

hc8719 said:
if you stated what fish you had in your "myinfo" might help, depending on what fish you have. if you have a fish you really care about, ask the airline if you could bring a cooler with fish as your on board luggage.

in june i brought 2 large domino's pizzas on a plane from myrtle beach to detroit. although airport security teased me...

Thank you for your input. As I stated above, I am concerned that do to the recent terrorist threats with respect to liquids I may not be allowed to take my fish on a plane as 'carry-on' baggage. I will have to contact my local airline authority to check in to this. I am very surprised you were able to carry your fish along with you in a cooler.

Lastly. Here is the fish I keep:

2x ID Shark Catfish
2X Golden Dojo Loaches (weather loaches)
3x Bala Sharks
1x Betta
1x Pleco

===============================================

BEGIN EDIT

hc8719 said:

actually mailing fish (given your doing it right) works well, although out of every so many crates, there will occasionally be a dead crate

I noticed that I missed responding to this post. I want to make it clear that I said I WILL NOT euthanize my fish. I'm not sure how you got the impression that this option was even in the cards. I simply mentioned it because I wanted to make it clear that this is out of the question in the hopes that no one suggest I take this route.

As far as selling them goes... I would be just as happy giving them away as long as I knew who ever was taking them had the appropriate facilities to take care of them and a passion for aquaculture. I really care quite deeply for my fish and would never give them to someone prior to performing a sort of 'background check'. Anyone who's like me knows exactly what I mean.

Any advice about the effects of mailing fish, links how to articles regarding this topic or more comments/ideas regarding my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a billion in advance!

Joe

END EDIT

Thanks for all the input so far people. Please keep it coming. I'll be sure to post my final plan when it comes time to actually relocate so that others may use this post should they ever face a similar situation.

AquaJoe said:
hc8719 said:

I noticed that I missed responding to this post. I want to make it clear that I said I WILL NOT euthanize my fish. I'm not sure how you got the impression that this option was even in the cards. I simply mentioned it because I wanted to make it clear that this is out of the question in the hopes that no one suggest I take this route.
END EDIT

ohh i wasnt reffering to you, but people in general, ive heard of people who get more than they bargin for in a puppy and put it down, just people in general are idiots, i knew someone who flushed their fish because she got tired of tanking care of them...

Thank you for clearing that up hc8719; I was nearly offended by my interpretation of your post.

That person you knew.... Actually.. You know what, I'm not even going to go there...

it would be great if some of the AA guru(s) would help me out here ;)

Joe

I would contact an lfs in Alberta, and see about the rent and board idea. If that doesn't work, get the new tank like you suggested you would and fishless cycle it. The 2 month time frame would probably work out darn near perfectly.

I would definately fly the fish out whether with you or by cargo flight. I have had fish shipped by air before with no problems. I don't know how big your bala's, dojo's or catfish are right now, but a regular sized styrofoam cooler would house those fish all so you could take them either on a commercial flight or by cargo. Remember to not feed the fish for at least a day (I would not feed for 2) before bagging and shipping. Leave 2/3 of the bag for air and make sure the bags are well closed. Once you have them at your new place I would drip acclimate them slowly. Good luck.

I have moved with my fish numerous times, but I was always with them. I know flying with fish is often difficult. I knew a pleco and assorted fish breeder, who would fly with the fish to various auctions and sometimes things did not work out even if she had the name of a customer service rep who said it was okay. She lost an entire load of fish when she was told they could not remain in the cabin and were placed in cargo. The cargo compartment is cold and I have not idea if they would let you use a heater and aerator down there. There are heating packs you can use and if the water level is low enough in the bags, a 12 hour trip should be okay with no additional aeration in a heavily insulated container. I flew with four plecos from NY to Seattle in Aug 2004 with no aeration and the fish were in the overhead compartment (long story, but we got lucky just being able to get the fish on the plane). After being in Seattle for almost a week, the fish endured the drive up to Calgary. They were aerated while in the motel, but not during the drive. My two plecos from that trip are still with me and recently spawned!
Personally, I would ship them. Companies do it all the time, as do private sellers. If there is an aquarium club nearby, someone may be able to help you out. Before my last big move, someone from a local aquarium club offered to fish sit with their tanks (she had lots lying around) and once I was set up, she would ship the fish; although, we did not take her up on the offer. I know the winters come early and are cold up there; you need to think about outside temperatures since shipping trucks are not heated. I would ship the fish ASAP.
As for your betta, I would try to bring it with you on the first trip. When I left Calgary to return to the states, I had some hard choices to make, since there were 13 tanks and I knew my new place would not accommodate all of them, many of my fish were sold at auctions. Among them were my many bettas since each would have had to be packed separately, and there was simply no room. IMHO, your other fish are hardier and would do fine in travel. However, do keep in mind things can go wrong and you may loose some fish, but with less than 10 fish to move, I am cautiously optimistic.
One last note about cycling your tank: if you end up leaving your tank(s) with someone, have them bag up some filter media (or bacteria rich filter sponge) and send that with the fish (filter media in a separate bag from fish). Good Luck with the move, the job and the fish!

As someone who travels frequently for my job(s), i'll warn you that in the US at least (and most likely Canada as well) liquids of any kind are currently forbidden in the passenger cabin of 99.9999999% of flights

I think shipping by air would be best (this is after all the way they get fish to the lfs). I like the lfs to lfs idea, or at least get someone who had shipped fish before.

I was browsing ebay a while ago and there was someone selling live plants & fish in the maritimes. You might want to try looking at ebay or the net for experienced breeders or seller that can pack & ship the fish for you. Another option is to find a lfs in a bigger center in the east. If you can find someone in say (St. John's), you can drive your fish down there for them to ship to Alberta.

In case you can't find a receiving lfs in Ft. Mac, I know of at least one lfs in Edmonton that will petsit your fish .... It'll only be a 6 hr or so drive from Edmonton to FT. Mac.

You need to get things organized real soon as the temp is dropping quickely in AB (current night time low is 7-8!) and it would be safer to ship the fish when the outside temp is warm. Even if you use heat packs, etc. Shipping in winter always carrys a risk of you getting a crate of icecubes when flights get delayed, etc.

FishyPeanut said:
As someone who travels frequently for my job(s), i'll warn you that in the US at least (and most likely Canada as well) liquids of any kind are currently forbidden in the passenger cabin of 99.9999999% of flights

i disagree, ive brought water bottles on planes before, and was never questioned about them...

Yes. I flew to Fort McMurray about 1.5 weeks ago for an interview.

Joe

*edit*

Whoops, thought that last post was a question for me :roll: :p

FishyPeanut said:
have you flown since the terrorist thing in london 2 weeks ago?

last time i flew was end of june, pisses me off now i cant bring water on a plane now? and the stewardess just give you 4oz of apple juice or something to drink... if that, and smirk if you ask for more

until a week ago, we couldn't bring mp3 players, ipods, laptops, personal dvd players, or cell phones either.

I forgot. I just remembered flying with the plecos--the bags were wiped down and checked for chemicals and the fish were watched to see if they were alive. I'm glad I don't have any air travel in the near future.

you have common enough fish, maybe you should sell them or donate them to a friend where you know they will be ok, & when you get to your new spot get new fish?

Back
Top Bottom