moving need some advice for 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george9617

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a new place and dread transporting the water. I was thinking, would it be so bad to just use treated tap water along with an algae scrubber . If I top off with RO water eventually the scrubber will exhaust most if not all the phosphates from the tap. Anyone see any flaws in this? In theory it makes sense.

Go to the new place with a couple brute trash cans and premake about 75% of a full fill up for so about 70 gallons of water. Put all you live rock and any filter pads/sponges/bio balls into buckets with your tank water. Tear down the tank, take it to the new house, refill the tank some, put your scape back up and finish filling. It's not too tough just make sure everything that should be wet stays wet and that you don't have major temp flucuations and all will be fine. Remember to test every day or two afterwards for a couple weeks to watch for any spike too.

Sorry wrote that before you finished your post, the tap is not a good idea. It's not just phosphate that is being removed from the tap water but also many other metals and elements. An algae scrubber more then likely will only consume a small fraction of what is being introduced from tap water.

I like the trash can idea thanks I'll have to buy some. Before I would fill up multiple 5 gallon containers and id be soar for a while after. Its cool I guess, I knew what I was getting into setting up a 90 lol. Time for some fun :) ....as for metals I have a phosban reactor as well.

Reactors aren't going to pull out the stuff that we are aiming to keep out by running Ro/Di units. Most of the stuff in the tap water, you along with most everyday people will have no means whatsoever to test the levels of. You could call the water department and ask them to share their test results and once you see the kinda stuff that is in the water you'll definitely not want to use it for your precious SW tank. Especially since a lot of water sources can be contaminated by pesticides and other chemicals in a lot of areas.

Back
Top Bottom