Moving tank questions/protocol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so I need to move my 8gal tall glass tank home (about 1 hour in the car).

I've heard conflicting advice on moving tanks-- small tanks you can drain and leave just gravel/little bit of water in, you can drain halfway and leave fish in, you have to take everything out or the bottom may break...

I was going to take the opportunity to do a good gravel vac, so pulling the fish/plants/decorations out was part of my plan. I was considering a biggish bucket for water/plants/decorations/filter media (and probably shrimp) and either a smaller bucket or some sort of container for the fish, and leaving the gravel and enough water to keep it wet in the tank.

I can run my filter in the small container while they're in there except when driving, so if they're in there for a while before/after traveling they'll still get aeration/filtering. I am a little concerned about my betta harassing everybody else though in a smaller space than they're used to (hence why the shrimp will probably go with the plants, she tends to chase them if the opportunity arises).

I was thinking about something like this for the fish (betta, 2 cories, 4 tetras):
Aquatic Gardens Deluxe Plastic Aquarium With Lid at PETCO
which I would later use for other fishy pursuits (treatment tank, holding tank, etc).

So basically my questions are:
Does my plan sound overkill or accurate?
Will the fish be fine for about an hour or so without filtration?
Do I need to feed less/not feed for a day or two before moving them?
Should I be on the lookout for a mini-cycle?

Thanks guys!

I moved 30+ fish and 46 gallon aquarium on a 2 hour drive plus another hour getting the tank set up at home without losing a single fish including 8 neon tetras (which are not very hardy fish)
I put the fish in 4 large plastic fish bags from the pet store.
Emtied the tank completely and threw away the sand substrate. I kept the filter media wet in a gallon ziplock.
Even with the tank dry for over 2 hours and adding completely new substrate I only had a very mild mini cycle. ie... never saw any amonia and only 0.5 nitrite or less for about 2 days.
I think as long as you leave some air in the bags or an open bucket you will not need additional aeration.

Back
Top Bottom