Moving Tank - Switching to Sand - Qwick Question I Promise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I need to move the 37 gal (30"L 12"D) and I figure it's time to switch to sand substrate..this sand: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=20545;category_id=2409

here's the question.. I've never used sand before, soo is 20lbs enuf to cover the 37Gal , say 3-4 inches ?? Im thinkin no.. so how much should I get?

oh no..i have another question.. just thought about it, would it be a good idea to leave a small layer (maybe 1 inch) of gravel to keep bacteria? will that work?

THANKS!

If you have a mature filter you shouldn't have to worry about keeping gravel. Only keep it for asthetics if you wish.

I can't give a definative answer to your other Q's.

I am almost sure that 20lbs or gravel is not going to come close to covering a 37g tank 3-4". I would think you would need double that. personally I like gravel better just because of the ease of gravel vacs, but if you really like the look of sand 40lbs should do it

thanks everyone~!

according to the calculator i need between 62-82 lbs..woo

You will need quite a bit of sand because it compacts. I love sand over gravel BECAUSE of the gravel vacs. :D You don't have to do them. :) You just lightly sift over the surface of the sand. I would start out with 50 lbs and go from there. You can always add more later. Plus, you may get the 50 lbs in and decide thats the depth that you want it. You can't return opened sand bags. :D

That's what I was thinking too krap. Shipping itself for 60 lbs would be $25. I'd try to find it locally or try pool filter or play sand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom