Moving Tanks - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a 20 gal tank to move my 7 inch pleco from a 10 gal. It's a temporary place. I think I have some people interested in it from the next county, but I won't know for a while. Regardless, I hate seeing that huge thing cramped in such a small tank that I used some extra cash and found some deals to get a bigger tank.

The filter running in the new one is new, the water is clean (used AquaSafe to get rid of the chloride or whatever the elements that were bad in tap water out of it) and I've added a heater. I've also added some ornaments and pebbles from the old tank to kind of "boost" the bacteria. It's been three days since.

I wanted to know, though, how soon can a common pleco be moved in a new tank? I've heard of people moving an established filter into a new tank and adding fish the next day. Is this safe? Is it possible to move the pleco there sooner than a 6 weeks?

Thanks,
Autumn

PS. I just bought something to test the pH levels, and I think it's inaccurate. It's a liquid solution that you put drops in a tube of water from the tank. Whatever color it turns cooressponds to a color-code card. Both the new and old tanks, according to it, have 7.6 or higher pH levels. Is this right? I'm thinking of taking a sample from both tanks to the closest pet store and have it tested there...

If you move the old filter from your 10 gallon to to the new tank you should be able to move the Pleco now without any problem. But if you have fish in the 10 gallon as well then just moving some of the of the old filter piece like if you have carbon or maybe cut a piece off of the sponge to add to the new filter. It should be adequate enough to get some beneficial bacteria in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Wow, really? o_O Just that easy? I only have a common pleco (All the other fish I had died over the course of a year. I had no idea what went into taking care of fish until they started dying and I didn't understand why. It's a horrible way to learn how to take care of them. This forum has helped loads, otherwise I don't know if my Pleco would be alive today.)

It just sounds way too easy lol. Is it alright to run a new filter alongside the old one in the new tank? (since Plecos are pretty dirty, I think having two will help maintain the water between siphoning?) Also, should I move a good portion of the old gravel into the new tank? There's still waste in it, so I'm not sure.

Good for you on upgrading the size. You can run an old and new filter together. Its a great way to cycle a new filtet.

You really need to buy a liquid drop test kit that tests for amonia, nitrite and nitrate. That is the only real way to tell if the tank is cycled. Do not buy test strips, they are not always accurate.

7.6 ph is not abnormal, just a little high but not too high for most fish, even those that like low ph, as long as they are properly acclimated.

However, I would not get a second pleco. They get way over a foot long and are not appropriate for small tanks, as you have already learned.

I'm not considering getting another pleco lol. This will be the only pleco I'll have until I find it a bigger home. After that, I'll only consider it if I upgrade to a 55 or more tank.

I'll look again at wal-mart (the closest place that has aquarium supplies) and if it's not there (the liquid tests) I'll check at PetCo on Monday when I'm down there.

Edit: Got him in the new tank; he settled in one of the corners for a while. I put a wafer in and he's now moving around and munching on that. Seems to have worked well, thanks for all the help. :]

Back
Top Bottom