Moving tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I am getting ready to move in a couple weeks about an hour and half or so from where I am currently living and was wondering if anyone had some tips for moving my fish? I have three goldfish and two Bettas that I will be moving. Any tips on how to keep it less stressful on the fish would be a huge help!

Thanks so much!

Lexie

I would move the tank first or last. The longer it takes to tear down and move then get it back up and going again the less stress.

Roger that. I've moved aquariums a few times now, and the number one thing I did that helped was keeping the fish in their same water in another container (smaller one) which was aerated with a filter/power head. Almost lost my large gourami one time when I left him too long without aeration. They should be fine if you keep it under 2 hrs.

I would also try to retain 1/2 of the tank water in 5 gal buckets, new ones you can find at Lowe's or other home improvement stores.

Thanks! Would you suggest moving the tanks myself in my car? Or letting the movers pack them? I know if the movers break anything they will be held liable and have to replace it. I think my main concern is one of my tanks cracking or getting a leak.

I would move it myself. Depending on how far away, you may get there before the movers and then have nowhere to put the fish.

Back
Top Bottom