Moving white specks on aquarium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexFishKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning while checking in on my 3 week old shrimp tank, I found countless little white specks moving quickly and aimlessly around the aquarium glass. These guys look just like a grain of sugar. I believe they came in on my anacharis, which also had white or brown specks, but were so close together they basically looked like a sheet. From what I've researched, they're harmless microscopic crustaceans. Is this true? Thanks!

I have, what sounds the same, in my tank. I believe them to be freshwater limpets. They only grow to 1-2mm across. They don't seem to cause any harm, may be beneficial in algae control.
Their numbers go up and down and I expect they get higher with over feeding , which I try to avoid, but am sometimes guilty of.
Any other ideas?

I would take a photo, but they're far too small for my camera to capture. It's challenging to see them normally!

I would take a photo, but they're far too small for my camera to capture. It's challenging to see them normally!

Most probably freshwater planaria. They are particularly common in shrimp tanks due to overfeeding. I had some the other week. I cut feeding down and they disappeared. I break off a tiny piece of algae wafer and drop it in once a week.

Oh great :) thank you!! I realize this May be a dumb question- would they use fertilizer tabs as a source of food?

I had some in my snail tank at one point and I cut waay back on feeding and they died.

Back
Top Bottom