Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RipSpark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am moving my fish soon and have some questions. I left my tank in GA at home because I didn't want to stress my fish out. I acquired some rescue fish(yes rescues lol they were left on my porch). I got a new tank up here.
I moved once but it was only about 30 Minutes. I am now moving about 9 hours. I have a pleco, clown loach, and a rainbow fish. I will be setting up their tank down there not putting them in a setup tank. My main question is how is the best way to move them? I have always moved them in plastic bags but my pleco is quite large. I have read people using Rubbermaid tubs. What would be best?

Best way to save the water? Best way to move them? Oxygen and heat needed?

These guys have been through a lot! I have had them 3 years and really want to make sure they stay safe.

I recently moved and used a Home Depot bucket with their leak free top to transport my fish. Depending on the size of your fish a rubber maid container could work.
My advise would be to not feed the fish 24-48 hrs before you move so you can reduce the amount of waste that will accumulate while you are moving the fish. Use new water that has been de-chlorinated and I put the filter material in with the fish to keep as much bacteria alive as possible and to hopefully help control the ammonia and nitrite levels while moving.

If you are concerned with the time they will be out of the tank you could purchase battery operated air pumps. I also use the Home Depot buckets when I move around my fish but if the fish are over 5" you may find a cooler or Rubbermaid container best.

Back
Top Bottom