MTS snail infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have several other forums up right now, but I just felt right posting a thread on the actual problem I am having now. I am cycling this ten gallon tank, that I plan on it being a ghost shrimp tank with some guppys. Well I went to local fish store bought 2 rocks as decor. I also got them to squeeze out some filters for bacteria. Harmless I thought. Well obviously not, as I have killed 20 of the little bastards in the last week after putting in the "dirty water". There food source right now is algea, I am guessing, because the tank is being cycled fishlessly. I was (and ill admit this) running the light way to much. As I am used to my led lights on my 29 gallon that seem to not grow anything not even algea. So I have cut the lights of entirely to kill off algea and I took all rocks out of my aquarium covered them in table salt and soaked them for 10 minutes in a salt water bath then rinsed them for about 30 minutes in fresh chlorinated water, dried them off and put them away for now as I do not want them to have any place to hide. I also take a bright flash light and scan the glass every few hours and crush any of them i see with my finger and get them out. I dont mind having a few but i hear they over populate rather quickly some im trying to solve the issue before there is one. any tips tricks ideas i maybe missing ??

I have MTS in all of my tanks and they don't overpopulate for me. You may be feeding your fish too much and they are doing you a favor by eating all the excess food. However in turn they are over populating the tank in response to the amount of food they have available to them.

Okay, I understand now. I believe that if you watch the food you feed once you have fish they will regulate themselves.

Back
Top Bottom