mudskipper suden death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razstec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i have a mudskiper in a 60x30 tank, the ph whas 7.5 and the salinity was 1.06, temperature 25º.
i feed him with dried gamarrus and live tenebrio.

unfortunaly 3 weeks later i found him dead :(
what did i do wrong?

you can see the mud when he was alive here: YouTube - African Mudskipper

please help, i really like this specimen but i dont whant them to die a couple of weeks after i buy them.

thanks

Hi razstec
Just letting u know "I am not an expert" but just like HN1 mentioned 1.06 salinity is way 2 high for these lil' guys. I just checked my hydrometer and it will only read up to 1.032. I have 3 mudskippers and I keep the salinity around 1.008. It did get up to 1.014 once and with just that much of a difference. I noticed a change in their behaviour.
As for what u were feeding him... I'm not familiar with live tenebrio but I dont think dried food is the best choice. I feed my guys frozen bloodworms and frozen mysis shrimp. I've also got them crickets (which they love) and feeder minnow fish and feeder guppies from time to time. But if u feed them live stuff, u have to be sure that it isnt bigger then ur skippers mouth.
Just out of curiousity, how long after you shot the video of ur mudskipper did it die?

Sorry I 4got 2 mention, since skippers come from such a warm climate 25 degrees is the absolute lowest the temp should ever be. Idealily the temp should be closer to 28.

Sorry I 4got 2 mention, since skippers come from such a warm climate 25 degrees is the absolute lowest the temp should ever be. Idealily the temp should be closer to 28.

I see thanks.

my mud died about 1 week after i shoot this video.

Thanks for the info, i tried to give them the conditions possible and end up killing him :(, maybe if i did what the pet shop lady told me he was still alive but i doubt it, she have them with african clawed frog in normal tap water....

thanks, if you think of someting else please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom