multiple filter intake placement question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrlucky923

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I have 2 canister filters should I put the intakes and outlet on the same side or opposite sides? I don't have 2 now but was thinking about changing out my hob for another canister... Conversely, I have my hob near the intake for my canister, should I move it towards the outlet or does it matter? Just want to make sure I get the most efficient turnover of my water... On a side note I just noticed my convict laid eggs... Yay...

ForumRunner_20130217_200656.jpg

You want the intakes on one side and the outputs on the other. This way you're not sucking in water that just went through the filter

Totally disagree. I run multiple canisters on many tanks and always have the intakes and returns for each canister side by side on each end of the tank. I have the intakes as deep in the tank as possible and have the return spray bars pointing upwards to agitate the water surface. The returning water flushes toward the upper center of the tank and and the intakes pull water from deep down near the tank ends creating a nice circular flow. This setup uses less hose and makes a cleaner setup.I only put the intake and outputs on opposite ends with a singular canister setup.

Back
Top Bottom