multiple filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionheart

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi
i am using 2 filters in my fresh water 25 gal
basically 1 is just back up incase either 1 fails both are more than capable of coping on there own
so either one at present is therefore semi redundant
from what ive read neither will be performing to its true potential
as increased filtration does not increase beneficial bacteria
you still only get the quantity of beneficial bacteria for your water surface area or size of tank
1 filter is a internal fluval 3+ the other is a canister
the fluval basically allows me to direct water dipersion using a spary bar above water level pointing back down at the surface giving the rain affect on surface of water.
giving plenty of water dispersion & gas exchange
the fluval 3+ as been in there 13/14 months i change media alternativly as it takes 2pads either side so i change 1 side then 4 months or so later i change the other and obvoiusly i give them a rinse out once a month
the canister as been in there 10/11 months it as 3 baskets 2 of which i use ceramic media the other i use bio balls and also at the top of baskets i use a fine filter wool and at the bottom there is course sponge
now what i want to know is
should i decide to remove either 1 of these filters
the existing biological benificial bateria should be plenty in either filter media to cope immediatly as i dont want to upset my water parimeters which are perfect at present 0ppm ammonia oppm nitrite 5 ppm nitrate
secondly by putting either one of these filters and there existing media into a new 55 gal tank how long will the new tank take to cycle roughly ?

I'm pretty sure the canister will hold its own if you remove the other filter.

With a smaller bioload, the 55 gallon tank will be ready to go as soon as you fill it with water and throw the filter in.

It's true that your bioload will support a certain number of bacteria regardless of filtration capability. More filtration surface area just ensures you don't run out of room for the bacteria to colonize when you add critters and increase your bioload.

If you remove one of the filters, you may see a mini cycle while the other bacteria colonies grow to cover for the removed colonies.

If you start slowly and only add a few fish, the 55g should be good to go if you use one of your established filters.

That "minicycle" from a major filtration change like that should stabilize in just 2-3 days though... so it's NOT a big deal... maybe just one extra "off-schedule" water change in there.

Back
Top Bottom